Mountain Project Logo

Shelf Road and Kids

Jennifer U. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 0

Thanks to everyone for the information! Much appreciated. Yes, any climbing in Colorado is better than what I can find in KS. LOL I'll definitely look into Penitente. I've climbed all over the Front range and Rifle, but haven't done much south except Shelf. Great to know. Thanks again!!!

PS. Nick, Love the picture of your daughter Mia. My oldest son is 4 1/2 and just beginning to climb. He climbed outside for the first time last year on memorial day in Arkansas. I was so proud. He climbs at the gym on occasion, but isn't really in to it. Hoping that seeing mom and dad climbing all the time and getting outside will encourage him to climb more. I'm letting him take his time....don't want to push him. Fun to see kids just older than him doing those climbs!!

TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

Careful for rattlesnakes... I have seen plenty at Shelf, especially at cactus cliff. Not necessarily in any season, they just live there!

P.S. almost every plant at Shelf has spines. A cholla to the hand or foot will ruin your entire trip!

P.P.S nothing pleases a crowd better than hogging the crag warm-ups all day on TR. Maybe sport park in Boulder canyon is a better idea...

islandertek · · Parker, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 65

"Jennifer U." from Kansas.....Thanks for thye kind words, and here's an update on my daughter Mia!! I hope you have fun out here when you come out!! The snow pack is great, which means AMAZING and EPIC whitewater!! Here's a picture of my daughter Mia (now age 9) learning to crack climb last night!! She was plugging "FULL fist" jams and stacks along with foot jams!! It was tough but she loved it!! No holds, just a FAT CRACK, my daughter Mia, and a proud father!! Ha haaaa!! I also have a picture of my 5 year old son London climbing in there!! ENJOY!!

Cheers!!
-Nick

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Shelf Road and Kids"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started