Mountain Project Logo

What's up with CCH?

Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145
John Wilder wrote:this is not rc.com
Lately it seems that it is.

John Wilder wrote:I have not attacked you personally,
I might argue otherwise, but you've since seen fit to edit out the comment I had I problem with I guess I no longer have an issue in this regard.

John Wilder wrote:I very clearly pointed out that 1) there are flaws in your numbers
No, you didn't, unless you count saying "You're wrong!" without providing any sort of backing documentation.

John Wilder wrote: 2)better information than yours is readily available to me (and others)
So as I asked Matt asked earlier, please share with the rest of the class.... Where I'm coming from is that the machinery to manufacture Aliens efficiently is going to come with a monthly note of at least $2500-3000/month for a not-so-great machine capable of doing the work in that manner CCH was doing it (with a much better, more expensive machine, mind you). On top of that you've got rent, wages, overhead (health insurance/benefits/etc), materials, tooling.... If you feel I'm wrong in my analysis, I'm very curious where you think it is. For argument's sake call it $15/hr for both the machine operator and the guy assembling the cams. What numbers do you get? Alternatively, what numbers do you supposedly have access to that are so very different than the ones I've posted, yet are not convincing enough that one of the 300 pound gorillas in the industry hasn't jumped on it? (300 because BD is clearly the 900 pound gorilla as far as we're concerned here in the US, and the others are far lesser players)

John Wilder wrote:and 3) you are being rude and condescending toward Matt.
I've been nothing but patient with Matt. Perhaps a bit condescending, but deservedly so. I asked for the numbers he had that contradicted mine way back on P1 of this thread, way before any of the drift, to which he began arguing perceived "complexity" and basing manufacturing cost off of it. In fact, I even went so far as to give a rather detailed analysis as to how I got to my numbers, based upon not a small number of years costing this sort of thing. 2 pages later he's changing what he wants to discuss and explaining he has no clue about the points he's arguing re: costing of manufacturing processes? Pfft. IMO he's in need a bit of condescension, especially if he's Matt Maddaloni and a practicing MechE with several patents under his belt.

EDIT- and at this point I'll gladly take the #7 tricam I'm sure JLP has lined up at my noggin if it means this thread will from this point fall off whatever passes as the FP of MP quickly and quietly. As he pointed out ages ago, there's only one person here that doesn't get it, and I should stop replying to him. Although it seems it might now be more than one, but I suspect his (JLP's) analysis holds true regardless.

VERY LATE EDIT, DAYS LATER RATHER THAN BUMPING THE THREAD- Ah. I see now. MattM is not in fact Matt Maddaloni, but rather another guy named Matt with a last name starting with the letter M who happens to live in the same general area. And according to his RC profile is a professional videographer/photographer. Sorry JLP. I had thought he was Maddaloni given the readiness with which he was arguing things, and was quite surprised at the apparent lack of knowledge. Sorry everyone for making such an ass of myself on account of it.
Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,061

Could you drama queens go back to rc.longwindedblowhard.n00b where you came from please?

I did say "please".

Cole Phinney · · Astoria OR · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 50
John Wilder wrote:Final words on this, as I am tired and this really isnt worth getting into- this is not rc.com, and I'd like to keep it that way... 3) you are being rude and condescending toward Matt. end of story. edited for clarity and finality.
+1

Aric Datesman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 145
TDog wrote:"TotemCam people let their US patent lapse" Is there a link that we could get for this??
It was quickly rectified once I made mention of it. Apparently their Basque lawyer forgot to file some paperwork, IIRC.
Evan Sanders · · Westminster, CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 140
jamboni wrote: The Kevlar trigger wires also allow the trigger to rotate so it can work in a horizontal crack. durable.
You know the trigger wires on Metolius Mastercams AREN'T kevlar right? They're made out of Technora T221, which is similar to kevlar but they aren't the same thing. Just a little side note on the topic.
Luke Stefurak · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,573
Will S wrote:Doug may have "deemed" the tube design not strong enough, but I'm not buying it. The tubular material itself is plenty strong, it's the crimped-on termination points at each end of the sleeve that are weak in the larger sizes (smaller ones are soldered at the termination and plenty strong). If you soldered them at all sizes, no legit strength issues...and really, has anyone ever seen an Alien with a failure in the tube assembly?
+1.

Trigger assembly on a older model Green Alien(pre 2005 I believe) fell apart on me at the end of the sleeve.

Placed the cam and didn't fit quite right and tried to pull the trigger and nothing happened, oh yeah it had come apart!

DOH!

- Luke
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "What's up with CCH?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started