Mountain Project Logo

Steroids

Original Post
hawkman7 · · Boulder · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

I have been thinking about using steroids to improve my strength. Thoughts?

CoachK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0

I know a lot of people will trash this post but I started using about 6 months ago and went from climbing in the .12a range to .13b/c.

Chase Roskos · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 90

I wrote something but nevermind. There is a definite right and wrong answer to this one and we all know it.

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I have never done steroids, but have increased my muscle mass by about 20 pounds over the past few years as a CrossFit trainer. There can definitely be diminishing returns in the strength to weight ratio. Having minimal body fat can be more beneficial than increased muscle. Having said that:
slate.com/id/2116858/

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

I should've checked your MP join date before responding in order to realize this question is probably fake.

P LaDouche · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 15
Brian Abram wrote:I should've checked your MP join date before responding in order to realize this question is probably fake.
'ROIDS HELP WITH MY PINKPOINTING ABILITIES FO SHO! FUK YEAH!
Micahisaac · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 80

the juice makes me look so ripped, too bad my gym doesn't allow me to climb with my shirt off

Kevin Fox · · parker · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 970
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkL1T-C…
watched this documentary a few years ago. done well. definitely brings up some questions to ponder. recovery time is amazing.
J.B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 150

I like to take rabies before big climbs, it's undetectable. Only idiot losers take steroids.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I'm working in some legal prescribed testosterone gel to build strength, muscle mass and gain energy. Legal and safer than 'roids for sure and my insurance pays for it! When/if I get Hulkomania size, I'll post photos.

BackCountry Sortor · · Ogden, UT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 400

If you do decide to use, you should blog about it recording everything; incredible weight gain, inevitable redpoints, Gordon like flashes, photos of your amazing muscle transformation, penis size, pimples, heart problems, disappointment, costs, depression, etc.

That would be interesting.

matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

I've had remarkable results free basing ground up rhino horn from a grizzly balzac.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

I'm confident this will push me up to 5.9+ by summer.

RandyR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 40
ShaunG wrote:If sacrificing your body to jump a number grade is worth it to you, be my guest. It's not like the sponsors will be knocking on your doors. Also, enjoy the reduced testicle size(might make you lighter!) and brain cancer.
Steroids DO NOT CAUSE BRAIN CANCER! Talk about the side effects of steroids all you want, but Lyle Alzado's brain cancer was NOT one of them.
taylorpur · · vancouver, bc · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 5

if you need to use roids then youre just not good enough, go play team sports.

Kevin Landolt · · Fort Collins, Wyoming · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585

You just need to use the roids to get a jump start on your training.

Kevin R · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2008 · Points: 290

Just a disclaimer: I don't do roids, I think it's cheating. Just know a fair amount about them because I've had friends do them (even stuck a buddy in the ass with a needle once) and I work in health care.

Personally, I think if you're not a sponsored climber or comp climber who gives a sh!t if you're juice'n. Obviously if it came out that Sharma was on the juice it would be of much greater concern than if the news broke that "hawkman7" was doing roids.

As far as side effects, most are not as serious as people think they are. Most of the serious health concerns (organ damage) only happen when you use steroids for extended periods of time. When athletes first started using steroids not much was know about them and a lot of people had serious health problems as a consequence. Once athletes learned to "cycle" their steroid use most of the serious health concerns went away, but are still often brought up (as they should be, they are real side effects) by people trying to deter others from using steroids. The rest of the side effects are mostly cosmetic ie. mad back zits (hot. your girlfriend will love them) and a bunch more body hair (she'd shave your back for you if she wasn't grossed out by the back zits). As far as the shrunken nuts go...my friend who was juice'n said they went back to normal when he stopped, but really, who wants to f#ck with your boys to climb a few grades harder.

The biggest negative side effect is that your chances of tendon injury will SKY ROCKET. Because your MUSCULAR recovery time is so much faster you'll be climbing more, climbing harder, cross training more, etc. all on tendons that are NO stronger than they were before. You'll likely climb a few grades harder in the short term and then stop climbing due to injury all together in the long term.

So Hawkman if you wanna juice go for it. It doesn't effect the rest of us. You might however, have to put a few **'s on that 8a.nu scorecard.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

I remember a lot of whispering and innuendo about many of the 'names' during a spell in the early 90's; and many of those 'names' are totally forgotten now.
Can you imagine the scene at Cactus Cliff on a January Saturday if roid use were to become common?

Kevin Landolt · · Fort Collins, Wyoming · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585

What? This is a serious thread? Wow!

I've personally been experimenting with "NanaJack", and I'm now breaking through that 5.7 plateau I've been stuck on for ever.
Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

I could care less if you or Sharma uses steroids. I'd be pissed if Sharma was using roids and lied and said he wasn't.

To me I would feel like I was cheating myself and the costs/risks were not worth any possible reward.

Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? · · Vegas · Joined May 2005 · Points: 4,115

Got steroids?
youtube.com/watch?v=2TVooUH…

Pros:

It will make you look more intimidating if you're stealing peoples draws at a busy crag.

Parents will remove their rugrats from the climbing gym you attend when they witness your moves while in your steroid-induced psychosis.

If you're all buff, and make loud grunting noises, you can make a 5.3 look really difficult, and awesome to the tourists walking by.

New climbers will mistake you for a disgruntled old school traddy, and idolize you.

And cons:

It can increase erectile dysfunction.

Your mom may kick you out of the house, especially when you accidentally crawl into bed with her during a steroid psychosis episode.
Note: Pawn your guns, and hide [from yourself] all the sharp instruments, and hard handheld objects; axes, hammers, fire pokers, knives over 4", baseball bats, golf clubs, and your handy #6 cam, just in case. And the heavy lamps too!

You'll need spend money, not for gear, but to buy a new wardrobe. Your once baggy PrAna shorts will morph into speedos. Ever watch the Incredible Hulk? Ouch!

And the list goes on... Hope that helps.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Training Forum
Post a Reply to "Steroids"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started