Mountain Project Logo

Accident in Red Rocks Oak Creek 11/25/10

Original Post
RedRock Rat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 145

Just heard about it. Anyone have any info? All I've gotten is Oak Creek Canyon, female climber, 50-100ft fall, and airlift?

Mike Dudley · · Vegas · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 155

We were in Calico and saw the medvac go in. No real info. Best wishes to everyone involved.

Travis Spaulding · · Las Vegas, NV. · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 30

The news seems to have dropped it, no updates yet. All I got was that it was a female, that was on Solar Slab, and that she had fallen 30-60 feet. Hope this turns out OK.

GMBurns · · The Fucking Moon, man, the… · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 470
buckets wrote:My Info is that the climbers gear ripped out and the injuries were fatal. A tradgic accident.
wow. if that's the case then my condolences. that's too bad.

here's hoping she survived, however, and that any injuries suffered heal quickly.
Callie Rennison · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 15

I heard the same - that she perished. Very sad. I wonder if the complete lack of news is due to the holiday and trying to contact the next of kin.

Regardless, my condolences to the climber's family and friends.

Where did you hear that it was a fatality? That would be terrible, and yes I think the lack of media attention is at least partially because of the holiday weekend. Thoughts and hopes to the climber, partners, and family.

Mike Dudley · · Vegas · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 155

Best wishes to family and friends. Lets make sure this is the last accident of the holiday. Climb safe out there and have fun.

Ok so here is the LVMPD SAR brief on the incident.

"On Thursday afternoon, Mountain Rescue Volunteers were called to the Red Rock Canyon Overlook in response to initial reports of a fallen climber in Oak Creek Canyon.

Two SAR Officers were flown to the scene and were hoisted to a ledge approximately 400 feet off of the canyon floor. From there, the Officers extracted the 42 year old climber from a crack where she had landed after falling what was estimated to be 45-50 feet. The climber was hoisted out of the canyon and delivered to flight, who transported the victim to the hospital.

The female climber had been climbing with a friend and suffered from multiple skull fractures, cervical fractures, and massive brain swelling as a result of the fall. Rescue personnel took less than an hour to respond and extract the injured climber from the the area that she was located.

News Channel 13 was on scene. Their report of the incident can be found here. "

lvmpdsar.blogspot.com/

Steven Lucarelli · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 6,794

Someone was air lifted out of Calico that same day. Not sure what happened but the helicopter flew back into the Black Corridor area.

Thanks RedRockRat.

The other flight was for a male hiker (I think 55 year old) who injured his feet and needed help out. Nothing life threatening happily.

erik hamilton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 635

EDIT POST
Her name was Heather Gray. she was from vancuver canada she was a beautiful young woman and a very strong climber.it was a tragic accident that could have happened to any climber. this past week heather was climbing solar slab when a hold broke. Her gear did not fail or get rip out.simply a hold broke which lead to a fall that was tragiclly fatal. RIP Heather. I ask out of respect for family and friends that all post remain positive.

Don't stand by my grave and weep,for I am not there,I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow,I'm the diamonds glint on snow,I'm the sunlight on the ripened grain,I'm the gentle autumns rain,don't stan by my grave and cry, I am not there,I did not die.

Buckc · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 35

Thanks to everyone who helped out on solar slab Thursday. There was a lot going on and I believe that the response was top notch considering the circumstances.

I was watching Heather Climb that pitch from Johnny Vegas and it was clear to me that she was a strong, competent climber in flow and having a great time on the desert stone. RIP

David Crockett · · Salt Lake City, Utah. Shipr… · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 25

I was climbing with Buck on Johnny Vegas when I saw Heather fall. My heart goes out to her friends and family. Rest in peace.

Terence · · Almont, CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 20

A very sad Thanksgiving indeed. We were on pitch 3 of Solar Slab when the heli came in. Most importantly, best regards to Buck and Dave who were the first to respond.

Erik, Thank you for the quote. Climbing is an inherently dangerous sport, We all understand this and accept this risk when we take the sharp end. Still, that doesn't make this any less sad.

Rest in Peace Heather Gray.

Keep your hopes and chins up and most importantly, keep doing what you love, climbing.

phil broscovak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 1,631

Beautiful quote Eric.

Rest in Peace Heather Gray.
My deepest condolences to family and friends.

To Buck and Davcro my sincerest respects for your efforts.
It is a hard duty, I empathize with your pain.
If you want someone too talk through it with please feel free to email me.

Peace to all of you.

Thanks for the additional information. Very very sad.

Again, my condolences to her family and friends.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

So tragic. My condolences to her family.

Mary Moser · · Kirkland, AZ · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 200

Anyone who is a lead climber knows that sometimes there are NO gear placements to be had. We have all been in run out situations at one time or another. We should not speculate on that issue, but instead offer our condolences to friends and family. RIP Heather.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,812

I believe all climbers accept the risk they open themselves to when they get on the rock. Hard climbers, fat climbers, not so experienced, experienced, conservative, and not so conservative. It can happen to all.

Words to remember when we're out climbing: "she was a strong, competent climber in flow and having a great time"

My heart goes out to the loved ones of Heather Gray.

mikeo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

It's sad to hear this, I have climbed that route and there are sections that you have to run out 25-30 ft. Have to be super careful when climbing those parts, sucks that a hold broke.

saxfiend · · Decatur, GA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,221

What a sad loss. Having led Solar Slab, this is particularly sobering to me. Condolences to Heather's family and friends.

JL

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Accident in Red Rocks Oak Creek 11/25/10"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started