Mountain Project Logo

Ice climbing conditions

Original Post
akafaultline · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 225

THis is stairway to heaven on 11.23.2010, a couple of hours ago. Still thin, but probably climbable later in the week.

Christian "crisco" Burrell · · PG, Utah · Joined May 2007 · Points: 1,815

I wonder if the snow storms this week will make it too dangerous though...

atrau · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 0

Thank you to all those in the Utah County area for posting updates on the conditions. I enjoy seeing the pics, and reading what people have to say before I make the drive that direction.

Keep up the good work.

Rob

Matthew Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 5

The Salt Lake ice super-highway otherwise known as the Great White Icicle is in thin but it goes all the way to the top as of last night (ll/23) and I'm sure the super cold temps today and tomorrow will help too. Let the junk show commence...

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
Matthew Smith wrote:The Salt Lake ice super-highway otherwise known as the Great White Icicle is in thin but it goes all the way to the top as of last night (ll/23) and I'm sure the super cold temps today and tomorrow will help too. Let the junk show commence...
Where you parking and how was crossing the creek?

Have they plowed that lot yet?

Cheers!
Sunny-D · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 700

Matthew,
Did you climb the great white Icicle or just look at it?

Matthew Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 5

We climbed it all the way to the top, 13s and stubbies are all you can get in and placements were sparse. Interesting "mixed" (read: Ice, rock, frozen dirt and tree branches) climbing for the topout. parked on the north side of the road, parking lot is not plowed and still has the "no trespassing/no parking" signs up. The creek is barley a trickle so it's easy to cross ~100ft down canyon from the water building.

jtwalter · · Orem, UT · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 806

As of 2010-11-24 the Dirtcicle is a little thin but climbable. The top out is still sketchy.

Allen Sanderson · · On the road to perdition · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,203

I ran up the GWIC this morning. It is in fine shape. The first pitch is a slightly soggy. A bit of a wallow between the first and part way up the second pitch. Thin in places but the top out is in fine shape. The nice part, barely a pick mark on the route. But that will change quickly.

Levi Kepsel · · Paducah KY · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 0

I saw climbers on The Dirtsicle and Stairway to Heaven this morning, 11/27. Stairway still looked thin, but climbable. and some of the ice further up canyon was coming in nicely.

Michael Davidson · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 141

November 27, 2010.

Nikki Smith · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 75

Climbed in Provo on 11/26. White Nightmare, Left and Right Bridalveil are all climbable for both pitches. Hit Great White this morning, 11/27. Pretty plastic and wet throughout, with a thin topout but it's all there.

Matt Jesperson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 140

Went to Joe's today. All of CCC falls was in. Ice was a bit brittle, but very fun to get out ice climbing again. The only other route that looked close to being in was Donoricle (sp?). We climbed around the lower parts of Donoricle, the upper two-thirds of the pillar was too delicate to climb and had water showering down the surface. Also, the lower curtain on Deadbolt was about halfway down to the ground.

Dirtsicle was thin, but in.

Levi Kepsel · · Paducah KY · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 0

Just a heads up:

UDOT AVALANCHE CONTROL WORK
Provo Cyn will have 15 min. closures tommorrow from 10am to 1pm to sight in artillery. Stay clear of ice climbs until after 1pm
Closure Time:
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 10:00am
Anticipated Re-Opening:
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 1:00pm

Tim Banfield · · Calgary, Alberta · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 55

Does anyone have beta on Maple Canyon ice? I was wondering if anything is in. Driving from Colorado to Vegas and was thinking about checking it out for a day.

Thanks in advance
Tim

jtwalter · · Orem, UT · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 806

Soft 'n Juicy looks good from the road.

All good on Bridal Veil.

The pillar on the third pitch of the fang looks like it's fallen.

Christian "crisco" Burrell · · PG, Utah · Joined May 2007 · Points: 1,815

As of 12/4:

Icemate/Playmate: Looks good enough.

Unnamed WI2: Rotten but there.

Daily Fears: Looks to be held up by bushes.

Stairway: Getting thin and rotten. Left side of first pitch is still ok. Higher up are very scary broken pillars that are ready to kill you in a few seconds.

Bridal Veil: Left is so-so. White Nightmare is still ok. Right looks the best of just about everything.

All is Quiet: Is there but looks rotten.

Finger of Fate: Thin...doesn't look like the pillar is touching.

Best part of the day was the Bald Eagle that flew by 20 feet from us! Better than a double rainbow!

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 654

Just drove down LCC got a look at the ice. We're starting over. Scruffy Band has all but melted out. GWI is unclimbable with huge holes and water everywhere. With the weather that's predicted we should be back to zero by the end of the week

Drove by stairway today. The temps were in the 20's and the ice is beginning to form again. Perhaps the lower pitch (apron) will be in by this weekend. The ice was forming the most on the eastern side of the apron as well. If I go snowboarding again, I will update the conditions as I drive by.

Kai Larson · · Sandy, UT · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 436

It's been really warm. Raining at the mouth of LCC.

I drove over Soldier's Summit outside of Price on Sunday night (Dec 19th) and it was raining heavily there too.

i drove by stairway on monday-the ice is starting over again. I should be drving by today as well.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Ice climbing conditions"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started