Mountain Project Logo

Three Generations

Original Post
JML · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 30

minielle · · Holladay, Utah · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 50

Great pics! Hope you were able to get one with all 3 generations.

John Maguire · · Boulder, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 195

What is the secret to these incredible shots? Sunrise conditions? Camera tricks? Photoshop? There has got to be something I'm just missing.

Awesome photos are usual. I hope I get to climb with my dad again.

John Maguire wrote:What is the secret to these incredible shots? Sunrise conditions? Camera tricks? Photoshop? There has got to be something I'm just missing. Awesome photos are usual. I hope I get to climb with my dad again.
Thanks John. I think the secret is in the lighting and the camera I use, a Sigma SD-14.

Having a good piece of glass helps. I shoot in RAW and then did a conversion to jpeg.
Mike Anderson · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 3,265

Cool. I had my boys up in the Wind Rivers over Labor Day. We were throwing rocks into the Deep Lake at one point:

Axel gets ready to throw a rock into Deep Lake.

R to L: Temple Pk, E Temple Peak, Lost Temple Spire and Steeple Peak behind Deep Lake.

Back at camp under Haystack Pk:

The Milky Way over Haystack Peak.

I use a "graduated neutral density filter" which really helps for sunrises, sunsets and reflections, but you can get similar results by taking two exposures and merging them in photoshop, which I think is more popular these days.

Owen Darrow · · Helena, mt · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,790

Sounds like a great trip and some beautiful pictures to go along with it. Like father, like son, like sons, nice!

Mike, I use Grad ND's for reflections occasionally. Don't use photoshop. Don't have time to screw around making fake photos by merging etc. I like those ones you took. I love the Winds.

minielle wrote:Great pics! Hope you were able to get one with all 3 generations.
Found this one from July...pretty rare to find pictures of me. I don't get in front of the lens much. I forgot to get one of all of us on the trip.

--- Invalid image id: 106895361 ---
Mike Anderson · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 3,265
JML wrote:Mike, I use Grad ND's for reflections occasionally. Don't use photoshop. Don't have time to screw around making fake photos by merging etc. I like those ones you took. I love the Winds.
I agree...I don't have time to mess with PS...best to get it right in the first place. Does this make us old and crotchety?

Here's another one from this summer....

Hallet Peak and Nymph Lake, RMNP
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Three Generations"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started