Mountain Project Logo

climbing gym in vail?

Original Post
Rios · · CO · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 5

bc i dont ice climb.im going to need something to do when i get sick of skiing.does anyone know of a gym in the area and/or perhaps a yoga studio that i can fart in?

Evan S · · Denver, Co · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 510

There is a wall in the Vail Athletic Center (?) I think, but membership is supposedly prohibitively expensive. Unless they put one in the rec center, or something else happend recently, you'll need to build a woody or make friends with one of the many other people who already have done so. Closest gym I know of for sure is the Breck Rec center, a bit of a drive for a tiny wall. Glenwood Springs has a killer new wall, but that's even farther away. You don't ice climb? Living in Vail? Better start.

well then does anyone with a "woody" need a new friend?

England · · Colorado Springs · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 270
Rios wrote:well then does anyone with a "woody" need a new friend?
What???
JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531

You might be able to get a job as a wall monitor at the VAC. This would allow you to climb and jacuzzi for free. You would be expected to hang out at the wall one or two nights a week for like four hours and make sure no one dose anything too stupid. I would check it out. Probably a great way to meet partners. The coaches and kids there are awesome people and super motivated to climb.

Kevin Landolt · · Fort Collins, Wyoming · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585

Go climb some ice.

jjns, ill check out the VAC.thanks for tip.

but kevin im scared of ice.

...still looking for someone with a woody.

bradyk · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 141

There is a good climbing gym in Breckenridge around a 40 min drive from Vail. Its at the Breck Rec Center and it is much cheaper than the Vail Activity Center. You can also Volunteer their 3 hours a week and get a free membership. There is bouldering, TR, and Lead routes available.

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

The Breck Rec Center climbing wall is a racquetball court that was turned into a climbing wall. There is lead climbing on two sides of the climbing area, the third side is 7' tall bouldering wall. I would have to be awfully desperate before I drove from Vail to Breck for something that small.

Ryan W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

Check out the rec centers in Edwards and Gypsum. They both have a tower and bouldering wall (nothing special) and it only costs $5-7 to drop in.

www.wecmrd.org

cstorms · · North Bend, OR · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,170

just go to the kluttergarden in red cliff.

JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531

+1 for Breck being too far and not worth it.

Klutter Garden is only climbable May-November.

T. William · · Avon · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

The WECMRD field house in Edwards is actually pretty decent, if you don't mind climbing badly set routes over small children during a soccer game while getting strange looks from people who just figured out why there's tape all over the wall.
The Boulders in Wolcott are climbable pretty much year round, but finding someone willing to let you climb on there home wall is tough.
I know one person with a sweet home gym, but it's VIP only and it takes years to recieve the invite.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
JJNS wrote:+1 for Breck being too far and not worth it. Klutter Garden is only climbable May-November.
Some years even November is pushing it. We've gotten 3 inches of snow in October and the rock was too cold to be enjoyable.
Bryan Gall · · New Castle, CO · Joined Sep 2002 · Points: 260

Just climb outdoors through the winter in Glenwood Canyon (puox, surgery buttress) or Main elk.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Any gyms yet besides listed above?

Jon Lachelt · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 0

Summit is in Silverthorne.

summitclimbing.org/

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "climbing gym in vail?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.