Mountain Project Logo

Jumar rigging for efficient ascending of a fixed line?

Original Post
P. W. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 150

I have been trying to find the most safe and efficient way to use two Jumars with two footloops to ascend vertical fixed lines but I have been having trouble getting the sling lengths rights.

Anyone have any good suggestions for how to rig a system like this?

Cheyne Lempe · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 150
youtube.com/watch?v=H8KRKWE…

I watched all his videos and then climbed el cap a week later. It worked!

Just go to his youtube page and you can see all the videos he posted.
John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 1,690

Cheyne,

How about linking your Blog Supertopo TR over to this site?

Cheers

John

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

I just got a great laugh from that video. "You just alternate back and forth like you're running up the rock..." Yeah sure, its really that easy. That guy is amazing.

If you have never tried it before, lower your expectation after watching that video.

Evan1984 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 30

^^^
Chris does make it easy. I finally gave up on the two ascender jogger system and went to the 1 ascender and gri-gri froggy system.

Pete Zabrok has a great page on this rig.

I believe the jogger system is more efficient if you are proficient, but I've not enough need to jug to be proficient.

Evan

John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 1,690

With a little practice jugging is very easy. Do a few walls and you will have it dialed in. Use an adjustable daisy on your waist daisy makes adjusting in the fly easy. I use a old style daisy on my other clamp. Pointing your feet slightly down helps to keep your foot in the ladder.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

As an "armchair wall rat", I shiver when I read about jugged lines getting sawed through on semi-sharp edges. Then I saw this guy jogging on the line and I understood. The little bit of jugging I do, I do as smoothly as I possibly can.

Rob Kepley · · Westminster, CO · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,005

If anyone knows anything about jugging a line it's ChrisMac. I think I remember reading the story when Tommy C climbed two El Cap routes in under 24 hrs with Chris as support. Tommy was begging Chris to slow down so it would give him more time to rest.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Pete has some really good stuff in the Big Wall section.

James Arnold · · Chattanooga · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

Rob, iirc, Tommy's wife was on the Nose with him and CMac jugged free rider. I think there's vid in one of the Dosages to this effect.

I say this because Beth is about as fast a second as I've seen. Check out footage in Progression with her carrying a pack on Magic Mushroom and flying up the rock.

Page, use an adjustable daisy on your top jug, that way you can change length on the fly, like shorten up when you are getting steep and lengthen when on a slab...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Jumar rigging for efficient ascending of a fixe…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started