Mountain Project Logo

Top Rope Areas in Lake Tahoe

Original Post
Pablo-Roberts · · Prescott, AZ · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 1,165

Can any one who climbs in Lake Tahoe please give me some routes that can be easily top roped in the range of 5.5-5.10b, this website hasnt given me much help with it.

Paul Rezucha · · Alameda · Joined Mar 2003 · Points: 1,765

Paul,
Try the Advanced Search! I use it all the time!

mountainproject.com/scripts…

You'll have to see if comments mention how easy the TR are to get to and set up...

Cheers!
Paul

James Arnold · · Chattanooga · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 55

90 foot wall on the east shore and donner summit are your best bets.

At donner, check out the green phantom area, it's right basically "under" the bridge, lots of easier topropes up to 10- slab

Can you guys give me directions/road names on how to get to green phantom rock from "97 china garden ct glenbrook Nevada, 89413" this website doesnt give me good beta on how to get there at all. much appreciated you dont really have to tell me from that address but from Truckee would be very helpful.

matthew morgan · · Carson City, NV · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 131

Paul, if you are in Glenbrook you are better off going to 90 foot wall at Emerald bay.

Drive west on 80 to s. shore. Make a right at the Y (junction of 89 and 80) take 89 north toward Emerald Bay. Park at the Emerald Bay Parking lot. Hike into toward the Eagle Lake waterfall... 90 ft wall is just over the rock hills (w). If you get lost just ask someone with climbing gear where 90 ft wall is.

Also Smoke Rock is top ropeable. It is a short walk right behind the toilets... follow the trail and you'll see the chalk.

Matt

Hey Matt thanks for the directions on my other post to green phantom rock. i was thinking about 90 foot wall too, but on this site it didnt tell me if you could walk around to the top to set up anchors. do you know if that can be done?

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Paul U Roberts wrote:Hey Matt thanks for the directions on my other post to green phantom rock. i was thinking about 90 foot wall too, but on this site it didnt tell me if you could walk around to the top to set up anchors. do you know if that can be done?
Yes, you walk around the left side and up. Plenty of anchors up top to TR any of the lines. It's sort of a top rope gym mixed with the occasional aghast traddie.
Zeke wrote: Yes, you walk around the left side and up. Plenty of anchors up top to TR any of the lines. It's sort of a top rope gym mixed with the occasional aghast traddie.
Ah thanks alot man, yeah where i climb around here (syracuse ny climbing in little falls ny) its just like that but much smaller cliffs, only 30' it'll be nice to have an area much taller to climb at during my visist. thanks for the beta, maybe ill see ya there.
matt morgan wrote:Paul, if you are in Glenbrook you are better off going to 90 foot wall at Emerald bay. Drive west on 80 to s. shore. Make a right at the Y (junction of 89 and 80) take 89 north toward Emerald Bay. Park at the Emerald Bay Parking lot. Hike into toward the Eagle Lake waterfall... 90 ft wall is just over the rock hills (w). If you get lost just ask someone with climbing gear where 90 ft wall is. Also Smoke Rock is top ropeable. It is a short walk right behind the toilets... follow the trail and you'll see the chalk. Matt
For Parking should i get directions directly to the state park or should i get them for the visitor center?

Is the Parking lot on Emerald Bay Road? because thats as far as mapquest will assist me. thanks for all your help guys

Paul Rezucha · · Alameda · Joined Mar 2003 · Points: 1,765

Paul,
I came from S.Lake Tahoe Friday. It is very obvious once driving. Drive north up Route 89 up the west side of the lake. It's 7-8 miles (15 minutes) from the intersection of Route 50 and Route 89 in South Lake Tahoe. Slow going as lots of tourists now and low speed limits. Emerald Bay is obvious and gorgeous. You go past the Visitor's Center (nice to stop and visit too) a few minutes and the parking lot is on the left. Very obvious. Signs for Eagle Falls/Lakes. If you are lucky you can park on the road itself for free and just walk in. Pay parking ($2 maybe) inside. On Tuesday last week at 11:00 am, there were a million cars! No kidding. No parking anywhere! Get there early especially on weekends.

See here for Google Map.

maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&…

Drag Emerald Bay to center of screen and zoom in just west of Emerald Bay. Eagle Falls is shown and that is where you park!

If link doesn't work, just do a Google Map search for:

south lake tahoe eagle falls

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Top Rope Areas in Lake Tahoe"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.