Mountain Project Logo

GPS coords for chasm view raps

Original Post
Nick Wilder · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 4,098

Thinking about taking the raps on my first diamond outing and would like to be on the them a bit before sunrise. Anyone happen to have GPS coords that would make them easy to find in the dark?

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,926
Nick Wilder wrote:Thinking about taking the raps on my first diamond outing and would like to be on the them a bit before sunrise. Anyone happen to have GPS coords that would make them easy to find in the dark?
I don't have the coords, but I will say this....I thought rapping in sucked. You hike all that extra distance so that you can do the raps only to have to make your way across Broadway, which depending on the snow and conditions, can be unpleasant and potentially dangerous. I actually don't think it saves much (if any) time versus going up either N. Chimney or even Crack of Delight.

Finding the raps in the dark will likely be hard if you don't know exactly where they are. Once you find them, you either have to reach around a corner or lower yourself onto them and they are totally hidden from almost any viewpoint. Yes, if you are afraid of heights, you will need an extra diaper the first time.

Sorry if I'm not helping. Have fun.
Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,759

I agree with Mr. Albers:
The car-to-car Chasm View approach sucks.
Whole lotta' effort for very little gain.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

I'll ditto these guys. I guided up there for years and the least stressful way to do the day is R/T from the parking lot> Chasm> Mills Glacier> N. Chimney.

Bivying at Mills sucks. I can't tell yoou how many times I've woken up climbers bivying there when i walk by in the morning. Unless you're acclimated to sleeping at 12,000 feet, you'll have a very restless night and then fall hard asleep one hour before you need to get up. It sucks.

Bivying in the Boulderfield is worse. People will be walking by all night.

Bivying at Chasm View, however, is very cool. Spectacular views in an even more spectacular location. You still won't get any sleep though.

GPS will only get you to within 20' of the rap location. Finding the anchors is still hard.

UTM: 13T 447610.63 m E 4456534.25 m N
Deg: lat 40.257606 lon -105.616042

Have a safe trip.
Mal

Cory Harelson · · Boise, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,410

I agree with everything Malcolm Daly said.

When we went up there we bivied at Chasm View. It was an incredible spot to bivy, with awesome exposure and a great view of the wall (and of the Mills Glacier waaaay below you). That said, it's a helluva hike up there, and "walking" along Broadway "ledge" is not as straightforward as it sounds. First, the ledge is really a steep slope full of loose scree that ends in a huge (1000 ft?) drop to Mills Glacier. Walking along this loose shit above the huge cliff was the scariest part of the trip (note that we got stormed off after one pitch and had to bail, which meant climbing the 5.7 escape route back to the boulder field in the rain). Then you have to traverse across the top of the North Chimney, which is around 5.2. If I try it again I'm going to just go car to car and climb the North Chimney.

Here is a photo of the rap chains, note that there is nothing but air underneath them:

Rap chains at Chasm View.

Make sure you bring some extra webbing, as the next two rap stations (3 raps to Broadway ledge) were not as nice as the first one.

Here is a picture of the boulder field. The rap chain is right at the intersection of the boulder field and the wall:
Boulder Field, with the top of the Diamond in the background.

acouncell · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 190

there's a lone hiking boot up there now (as of today), very close to the raps. not exactly what you're looking for but something of a landmarker...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "GPS coords for chasm view raps"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.