Mountain Project Logo

TR: Snake Dike!

Original Post
stredna · · PA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 135

this is a quick one... My gal and I stayed from June 28-July 2 in the valley and then headed for Tuolumne.
Arriving in camp 4 we secured a spot at 2pm! HA! We then ran up yosemite falls and back, and quickly gave my gal (heidi) a run on "after six" at Manure Pile Butt. before dinner. She does great and lowers with a smile on her face, i declare her warmed up for the "ladies side" of half dome.
Next morning alarm does not go off! We leave Curry at 7:30am! ahhhh! However, we hammer the hike past tourists and the orchidaceous falls and views en route in a sweat-laden 2.5 hours. Immediatley i see a party of 2 really having-it-out with the 1st pitch friction. i-ca-rumba, 30 minutes go by and the follower drops his rather large pack onto the 2nd rope and walks through low and grabs the pack-rope to get above the roof. We enjoy our PB&J and admire our diminishing water bottles as opposed to imbibing during this episode. The two above us are Germans and are now making steady progress. We begin.
After climbing through the 1st three pitches, i see the germans are now rapelling toward us. :\ I thought this rather odd since they had now completed the crux of the climb. They arrive, declaring the rest "too psychological, no protection." I quickly decide to offer to take their rope up the rest of the psychological pitches and belay my Heidi and one of the Germans up at the same time (20' apart) on the air traffic controller. The process goes off without too many hitches, and we all make it to the top just before sunset on a beautiful evening! We take the obligatory shots and quickly descend the cables (hysterically scary) with the Germans who were camped in Little Yosemite (but are without headlamps). Arriving at their camp they filter us some water and we hit the road for Curry. Heidi and i arrive back in camp 4 at 1:00am with the customary ranger notes on our tent and bearbox. We cheers to a great day!
Anyways, had a ton of fun and sent two German's back to Munich signaling "V" for Victory! Snake Dike is a big day for sure, the hike back left us just short of stumbling into camp 4, and thirsty! We ran out of water on top, and the 9 miles to the car would have been much worse had the boys not topped us off - many thanks.
The next day i enjoyed an onsight of pitch 1 to outer limits before sunset which was super fun; hard to pin a crux to it other than hanging on. From there we headed to Tuolumne and the next a.m. climbed the Great White Book on Stately Pleasure Dome which was really fun! She had never used chimney techniques prior and had a blast. Some Reggae and IPA topped off the day in Mammoth and we headed for PA the next morning! Cheers all!

snake dike p.1

the gang

p.6?

atop the dome

"V"

outer limits

atop stately pleasure dome

we also enjoyed a hike to Hamilton Lake and a bivy under angel wings in Sequoia!

so as not to think we drove to yosemite for 4 days, we also hit flagstaff, sedona, sequoia, kings canyon, sf, stinson, etc...

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Stredna, got any pictures of Angel Wings you can put up?

yep, i'll upload em after work. gotta admit im surprised there is only one comment to the TR. will probably be my last.

Chad F · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 75

just b/c people don't comment doesn't mean they don't read em.

Much appreciated for the TR tho.

Chad

saxfiend · · Decatur, GA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,221

I enjoyed the TR too. Keep them coming!

JL

Garrett Gladden · · Bend, Oregon · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 75

Nah man, keep the TR's a comin'. That was a good report with some humor and great photos. Well done.

hoorah! will do, thanx ya'll!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

Ditto that. We don't always get around to saying "thanks" for excellant TR's like this.

So...'Preciate ya!

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I for one definitely appreciated your report. I actually wish people would post more of them rather than the politically or ethically charged threads.

Did Snake Dike years ago. Your report brought back nice memories of that climb. Thanks much.

AJS · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25
Chad F wrote:just b/c people don't comment doesn't mean they don't read em
Yup, you have 302 'views' so far :)
mountainproject.com/v/easte…
saxfiend · · Decatur, GA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 4,221
AJS wrote:Yup, you have 302 'views' so far :)
I didn't realize till I saw AJS's post that the TR was posted in the Eastern States forum. I'd suggest you post your future TRs in the Trip Reports forum, they might get more readership that way.

JL
Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 660

Stredna, how about those Angel Wing pics? Would love to see 'em!

Dave Swink · · Boulder, Co · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 285

We are looking forward to our vacation in Yosemite in August. Your trip report just built on the excitement for us.

DaveGustafson · · Palm Desert, CA · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 25

Can't WAIT to climb Snake Dike in September/October! Thanks for this post!

John Shultz · · Osaka, Japan · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 50

Good stuff, hombre. Thanks for the TR,

Cheers from Osaka,
john

user id · · SMOGden, UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 75
stredna wrote:yep, i'll upload em after work. gotta admit im surprised there is only one comment to the TR. will probably be my last.
TR? more like SS (shit show)

I had neglected to comment because i didn't enjoy the TR, it reads like a sugar driven, frantic rant.
Its a quick one all right, you could of at least dropped a boulder on your leg and cursed the people who helped you.

Sorry, I won't be guilted into praise, but please do post more TR's.
Got anything from where you go in the woods of Pennsylvania, late and out of water, only to save the day there too?

I do give you credit, however, for collecting 11 free strokes of your ego.
icsteveoh · · salt lake city, UT · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 470
user id wrote:i do give you credit, however, for collecting 11 free strokes of your ego.
Ha. that my friend is classic. yeah you might as well stop climbing since people aren't telling you how great a climber you are! Pfft, only one compliment!
Boissal . · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,541
user id wrote:
WIN!!!!
Where's the like button?
EMT · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 205

Nice man I'm glad you guys had a great time in yose. Love the HD pics. Good move to skip over CO and head right for the best....

PS. Nice job helping out the Germany crew.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "TR: Snake Dike!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started