Mountain Project Logo

Best Multi-Pitch Backpack

Lynn S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 1,380

Couloirman, I hope you enjoy your Cilo pack, mine has been ideal for multi-pitch routes. I would be curious to know what you think after you put it to the test.

One of mine came in white fabric and one boring winter night I customized it with a few Sharpies, which is nice....

Customized 20L Worksack

B Gilmore · · AZ · Joined Nov 2005 · Points: 1,260

most of the time a old Camelbak HAWG, before they turned into legitimate trekking packs. And when you need more room and weighing in at only 8oz. the Cilo Gear NWD20 (pricey) or, far cheaper and only 2oz. heavier, the normal 20L WorkSack.

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

Lynn's customization FTW!

J Schmiddy · · Pittsburgh, PA · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 20

Hey Dave, does the BD shot have an inner valuables(wallet, keys, cell phone) pocket of some sort? Can you compare the shape/design to the bullet if you have seen both in person?

BirminghamBen · · Birmingham, AL · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,620

Petzl BUG is great. Bulletproof. Caries all that stuff high on your back plus accomodations for allk the stuff that you'd rather not have swinging wildy off your harness on the approach...and the rope straps are nice.

Derek W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 20

The BD Hollowpoint is my choice. Its bigger than the Bullet, big enough to fit my rack and shoes in, wear my harness and give the rope to my friend for the approach. I do wish it had some compression straps to cinch it up when it just has my shoes and a jacket though.

Cory Harelson · · Boise, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,410
Lynn S wrote:Cilo 20L Worksack is my choice, . It weighs nothing, swallows up the gear and is made of burly fabric. Not having a waistbelt has not been an issue for me, the pack hugs my back when climbing. You could easily rig a waistbelt if you want.
+1, I love mine! Super light, but I have no trouble getting approach shoes, water, food and a jacket in it. It rides just in the right spot, high, but not so high that your helmet hits it when you look up (like some other packs I've tried). It comes with some straps that you could use to rig a chest strap, but I don't find that necessary.
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,711
Andy Laakmann wrote:I abhor carrying a pack... I usually clip my shoes, one water bottle, and a small jacket (in stuff sack) to my harness. For up to an 6-8 hour day it seems to work fine!
Ditto that.

For longer approaches where I won't be anywhere near the base of the route, I'd go with a BD speedpack. MEC also has some nice lightweight and small packs.
Kevin Landolt · · Fort Collins, Wyoming · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 585

I remember everyone was psyched about the Petzl Bug in Chamonix. A lot of folks especially liked the rope-carrying system. You could basically carry food/water/jacket/12 draws/harness/50m rope/shoes/chalkbag to the base of a multi-pitch bolt protected alpine route and then it doubled as a lead/follower pack. Perfect for that neck of the woods. Here in CO though, where you're typically carrying a small low-mass lead/follower pack inside of a bigger pack on the approach, I've found the Black Diamond Bbee a good little pack. I've also had the oppertunity to climb with the Cilo Gear 20l Worksack and was really impressed with it. I especially like the NWD material - which boosts the price up quite a bit, but basically makes a bomber little pack. Very cool.

Mike C · · Sweden · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 30

I like the Camp Campack X3 600. It's really light, has good ice axe straps and has big mesh pockets on the outside. I've come to love those big mesh pockets that I don't want a pack without them. It's nice to be able to access snacks and a thin jacket on multipitch climbs without having to open the pack at all. If you remove the fiberglass support rod and the belt pocket it weighs 17 ounces / 490 grams.

camp-usa.com/products/packs…

NC Rock Climber · · The Oven, AKA Phoenix · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 60

I have an old BD Bullet and a Petzl Bug. I got the BD first and thought that it was a good pack. However, the lack of compression straps always really bothered me. To me, the ability to cinch the load down tight while climbing is pretty important. I like a lot of things BD does, but think that they are really off the mark by not including some sort of compression straps on their smaller packs. (Given that I am the only one who has mentioned this so far, I might be in the minority.) The Bug has compression straps, and a lot of other useful features that I think make it a superior pack. It is a little heavier, but not enough to make a difference. YMMV, but I really think that the Bug has BD beat hands down in this product segment.

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485
Martin Ekendahl wrote:Anybody use anything a bit larger? I'm eyeing a Osprey Variant or Mutant. Something I can carry all my gear to my climbing location, then unload the rope and a rack or two of protection and still be able to climb with the rest in the pack (lunch, extra clothes, guidebook, etc). Important stuff like rope straps, and loops for ice axes etc. are a must for me.
Martin I use a GoLite Jam2 for this kind of thing. Compressable and pretty decent wear. Not a super bomber pack if that's what you're into but it is my main ice and alpine pack and with a few preventative Gorilla tape patches (ice axe loops, where the picks rub) it's been holding up great. The only time I put holes in it so far is when I fill it with rocks for a rope solo weight bag, haha.
adam winslow · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 1,305
Martin Ekendahl wrote:Anybody use anything a bit larger? I'm eyeing a Osprey Variant or Mutant. Something I can carry all my gear to my climbing location, then unload the rope and a rack or two of protection and still be able to climb with the rest in the pack (lunch, extra clothes, guidebook, etc). Important stuff like rope straps, and loops for ice axes etc. are a must for me.
I have a Mountain Hardware South Col that is sub 2 lbs without the lid, frame and big waistbelt (it also came with a little 1 1/2" webbing belt that I use). It's a HUGE pack for daytrips but compresses a lot and I'll use it when my REI Flash isn't big enough which isn't very often. It has ice axe loops and plenty of ways to tie on extra gear including a top strap to flop a rope on top of the whole thing (it's so big you'll probably just stuff the rope in the pack though). My only complaint is that even with frame removed the back panel can be a little too rigid which gives away the fact that I'm wearing a huge pack that I've compressed to fit a small load. It works well if you climb with older or injured people who can't carry their share of the load.
Pete Elliott · · Co Spgs CO · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 95

Bug is sweet.

Chie-Youn Shih · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 5

I love my blue ice mono single. It has enough room for bars, camera, shoes, hydration bladder and external helmet keeper. But the best part is the fact that it is essentially a gear sling. Getting to the bag is simple too. Just unclip the right strap and pull the bag to the front. There is no need to take off the bag which is awesome when you're at a hanging or crowded belay and don't want to drop anything.

blue ice mono

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Matt Berrett · · utah · Joined May 2010 · Points: 10

I think the BD Nitro would be a great pick. I have used it for multi pitch and its worked well for me.

Dave Leydet · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 161

REI Flash has worked for me

Alan Nagel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 5
BirdDog wrote:I have a BD Speed 30, and I love it. Large enough to haul a full rack, gear, and has a great rope strap. Strip the waist belt, top pocket, and frame sheet; it weighs just over a pound. It has good compression straps and sucks down nice and small for climbing. Hydration compatable, holds skis, and carries weight well.
+! great for long days, lesser alpine demands
Tyler Smith · · Buena Park · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 10
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Best Multi-Pitch Backpack"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.