Mountain Project Logo

Eating in St George

Original Post
steve edwards · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2004 · Points: 645

I've finally something worthwhile to eat in St. George--other than Scaldoni's, which is great but an expensive special occasion place--El Amate. I eat pretty much every meal here when I'm down there. It's just plain ridiculous that this place hasn't caught on with climbers because it's cheap and outstanding in an area with a serious dearth of Mexican food that isn't just cheap beans and rice drapped in cheese. My friend who runs a taqueria blog in California claims it's as good as almost anywhere he's been. I've pimped this to a lot of locals and have gotten comments back like "when we're on that side of town we like to eat at Bajios". WTF?!!!!

It's located on Sunset, just off of Bluff, next to the big shopping center and right in front of a Mexican market, just a few minutes from the Chuckawalla Wall.

Admittedly, their lack of beer is a problem (they claim to be trying to rectify this). I'd love to keep the place to myself but they are hurting and if they closed down it would be a small disaster.

mountainsense · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 455

Thanks for the heads-up, Stainless! As much as I was psyched to see Utah's first In 'n Out open there, one can only consume so many animal-style burgers during the course of one season. Are they open on Sunday? S

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746

No beer, no marg's?

No thanks!

Pancho and Lefty's.

Yeah, St. George is quite the strip mall wasteland of food lack-of-options. Can't be worse than Mesquite, though...

GRK · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 6,205

El Amate:

974 W Sunset Blvd,
St George, UT 84770
(435) 688-2324

I can't remember if they are open Sunday's but am almost sure that they are. Beer is coming but, in the mean time, I pick some up at the market in the lot and drink it on their patio. They're super cool about it.

Pancho's is the place with dollar Corona nights, right? Never been too impressed with the place. It'll do in a pinch but my take was it was strictly filler food to go with the beer. El Amate has memorable food. I'd say it's better than the Red or Lone Star in SLC and El Chub in PC (and WAY better than Victor's tires that gets so much press in SLC). And it's amongst the top tier of Ca taquerias as well (I admit to having spent an inordinate amount of time eating Mexican food). I do, however, understand how beer could be more important to a traveling climber as when you get right down to it that's how it is for me as well. To quote a friend after a year spent kicking around S.America.

"How was the food?"

Long perplexed pause, followed by,

"I don't know. All I ever ate was whatever they would give me free with beer."

Mike Anderson · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 3,265

I never seem to get tired of Cafe Rio when I'm there. I made the mistake of eating at P & L's once, and I won't do it again. The pizza place with the breadstick dildos is OK...pizza factory or something? I recall it's a pretty reliable spot for creepy-old-man-style staring at hot young mormon chicks.

IMO, the best food in the area is in Springdale.

Oh, there is a good Mexican joint in Mesquite, but the name escapes me. I think you can get a 1 lb hamsteak for $2.99 at the VRC any time of day!

DB Cee · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined May 2007 · Points: 146

El Amate.

Best mexican food in st george hands down.

Authentic, beautiful presentation, family owned, small, quaint, affordable. $7 for an amazing plate of fish tacos.

Ignore Pancho and Lefty's and Cafe Rio....it's the same food in different places.

Go to El Amate and support a really great family trying to make it by making really quality food.

Mike Anderson wrote:Oh, there is a good Mexican joint in Mesquite, but the name escapes me...
Was it Los Lupes? Haven't been. Anyone?

Cafe Rio? No booze, correct?

I think there's another place on St. George blvd but they only serve those fake malt margaritas (ugh).

If I can't get a decent margarita, why bother? I just as soon not make the trip into town. Heck, I can rustle up some beans and fajitas well enough on a camp stove.

Although, Steve, I'll have to give your spot a try. Better than Red Iguana is high praise. Especially if I can bring my own beverage...

All the federales say, they could have had him any day...

I've eaten at that place in Mesquite. I was quite happy to find it and it looked to have potential. Unfortunately it wasn't what I was hoping for but it's certainly not bad and you're best option in that town, so far.

Brian, when you're in Ca do you make it up to SB much? El Amate would hold its own in that town (more than 100 taquerias in a town of less than 100,000), which is even higher praise. Not that the Red would struggle there but it would be nowhere near the top tier. Los Agaves, on Milpas (right next to media darling Super Rica, which ain't bad), is the current spot I hit first these days.

Cafe Rio, btw, uses fake rice like the stuff you'd get at Taco Bell. It might not be that bad if not for that but it is a blunder that is unforgivable and puts all of their ingredients under suspicion. Plus, you'll never see a Mexican in the place and this is always a bad sign.

Springdale, huh? I love it there but haven't really found any good food, though I like the bar area at the Bit and Spur and can choke down a some of their items if I drink enough. I hear the place in the old gas station that was the coffee house/climbing hangout in the 90s is the best in town but it's always been closed. Anything else? I'll be there this weekend, in fact.

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

I can't speak for St. George establishments but we've eaten at Los Lupes in Mesquite, NV, at least ten times. It's a great Mexican restaurant. It's about a mile or two off Interstate 15 on the main drag.

Drivin' through St. George, and, sent that rig:

Great service, tasty food, and the price? Criminally low.

Thanks for the great recommendation, Steve!

Was so good, on the way back through, we whipped out the take-away menu, gave 'em a jingle, and, voila, on the road with a tasty load.

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!

Cafe Rio is good. Make sure you get their key lime pie for dessert...

This probably won't be new to many, but Jazzy Java is a great breakfast place. If I remember correctly, it's only $2.50ish for a full plate of toast, bacon, and eggs. Not bad at all.

On the coffee subject, there's a new place called Mojo Underground that's back on Dixie near Green Valley in an almost empty shopping center. They roast and the guy is a coffee snob, which I think is fantastic. They grind and cone filter pour cups to order. At three bucks a pop it's high brow, but well worth it. They also have a full espresso menu. As for food, they have pastries but also make sandwiches and get there meat from a local smokehouse that uses local meat. It's insanely good and, at five bucks, is a steal. They also have music at night. Downside, I stopped by Sunday morning and they were closed. Grim.

Brian, glad you liked El Amate. Thought you might. I was there the last two weekends myself.

El Amate still rockin' it. Had take away a couple weeks ago. Great!

Tried Los Lupes in Mesquite. Was "so so". Ditto Cazadores (sp?) nearby. Not bad, but, not great. Only option in Mesquite?

Yeah, the ham steak for breakfast at the VRC was huge. I normally can finish a man's size portion, but, left a bunch on the plate.

Any other restaurant recommendations for St. George? How 'bout watering holes? Any worth a visit?

Headin' that way for turkey weekend. Turkey day looks c-c-c-cold. See you at Black Rocks, ha ha.

Cheers!

Steve Powell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 915

the Thai place next to Pancho and Leftys is pretty good

Ty Meadows · · Moab, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 55

I had a pretty good meal and adult beverages at the local Elks' lodge down there. The Thai place has great sushi too.

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

Samurai 21 I the best food I have found in Mesquite.
Japanese Steak House and Sushi.

Way better than Lupes.

darrell hodges · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 380

Thanks for the tip on El Amate.

I'm going down there in a couple of weeks and I'll definitely check them out.
And, that Los Lupe place in Mesquite does kick ass. I ate there not too long ago.

As for Cafe Rio- kind of bland and salty. It tastes good if you're REALLY hungry.

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

We just ate at Pancho and Leftys and it was 'no bueno' (that is Spanish for not good).

camhead · · Vandalia, Appalachia · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,240

I'll have to check El Amate next time I'm out West, sounds awesome, especially if you guys say it's in the caliber of the Red Iguana.

I haven't been to the Cafe Rio in St. George, but I have eaten at other locations around Utah. Was never super impressed, and I got the impression that the place was always mobbed by Mormons who had gone on their "mish" to Latin America, both behind and in front of the counter.

Other good Mexican/Southwest places, just since we're on the topic: El Toro Viejo in Logan, Cafe Pierpont in SLC, Aparicio's in Plano, TX, Cafe Diablo in Torrey, UT, and Rancho Escondido just outside Hueco Tanks.

I really miss good Mexican food out East here, though Diogi's at the NRG is pretty good.

Corey McCarthy · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 95

El Amante is family owned and operated. Great value, and great food.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern Utah Deserts
Post a Reply to "Eating in St George"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started