Mountain Project Logo

I have [a little] experience but I'm a big fan of [climbing] ... I keep [a picture of me climbing on] my refrigerator. I'd like to put more [pictures there]. That's where you come in.

Original Post
michellesherie · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Hi. I have some experience with climbing, but most of it has been from the ground, spotting, belaying, and taking photos. It's time for me to get on the rock!! My technique isn't too bad, and I can climb a 5.10a with very little cheating, hehe. I have never lead anything, but would like to get comfortable climbing, so that I can. I enjoy climbing with ropes, preferred over bouldering. I want to learn how to place gear properly and my goal is to climb a big wall some day.

I also love to take pictures of climbing, and would love to just pow wow along sometimes, just to take pictures. We could even "trade" pics for some "lessons"

Requirements:

NON stoners/drunks. I don't care if you do smoke and drink (preferable socially), just not while you are belaying me, please.

Patient! I'm new, and I get freaked out and need to just rest for a minute, or five, to wrap my mind around the fact that I am up high and it's actually OK.

Prefer:

Someone around my age. I'm 23 and would like to climb with people that are in the age range of 21 and 35, but I'm not super picky about this one.

Someone who is experience, and has good technique, because if I'm going to learn how to do this, I want to learn to do it the right way.

Tye · · salt lake city · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

Go to meetup.com and look up the salt lake valley climbers club. we have a group climbing at least once a week this summer, and we love to climb with anyone that is really interested in climbing.

Yeah, I'm in the group, but I don't have shoes and stuff. I can go up to my parent's house and dig through my brother's stuff (I'm sure he would just love that, but I'm sure I could get him to loan me a few things) to get some things, but I'm lacking basics and money to get these basics. I also have had classes on Wednesday nights, but last week was the last one. I am finishing up the semester, so if I get some homework done, and the weather is good, I can come out tomorrow.

What is the weekly climb group like?

Why are pictures of myself necessary? Especially when you don't have any of yourself??? ummm, I'm going to have to say no. Unless you have a good answer.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
michellesherie wrote:Hi. I have some experience with climbing, but most of it has been from the ground, spotting, belaying, and taking photos. It's time for me to get on the rock!! My technique isn't too bad, and I can climb a 5.10a with very little cheating, hehe. I have never lead anything, but would like to get comfortable climbing, so that I can. I enjoy climbing with ropes, preferred over bouldering. I want to learn how to place gear properly and my goal is to climb a big wall some day. I also love to take pictures of climbing, and would love to just pow wow along sometimes, just to take pictures. We could even "trade" pics for some "lessons" Requirements: NON stoners/drunks. I don't care if you do smoke and drink (preferable socially), just not while you are belaying me, please. Patient! I'm new, and I get freaked out and need to just rest for a minute, or five, to wrap my mind around the fact that I am up high and it's actually OK. Prefer: Someone around my age. I'm 23 and would like to climb with people that are in the age range of 21 and 35, but I'm not super picky about this one. Someone who is experience, and has good technique, because if I'm going to learn how to do this, I want to learn to do it the right way.
Time warp back a few years(decades) because you are the kind of person I've been looking for to share the new climber experience with, for uhh, like my whole life, here in flatlands of Illinois where few climb and even fewer give it a thought to try. Living in Utah you should have no problem finding an active meetup group of new climbers willing to share the time and energy. Best of luck
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Tell us your shoe size Michelle and we might be able to help you out. A lot of us have tons of old women's shoes kicking about in the gear trunk. I think I might even have some new ones. No charge.

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Gees, you people are weak stalkers.

Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
Chris Drover wrote: hoping this was a joke... otherwise its a new low for the MP forum. -Chris
Since you've only been here for a year, I'll let you know that this is well convered ground. That being said, our male scumbag sides only pop up 1-2 times a year, typically surrounding posts like this.

Sorry ladies...
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

I figured you could use a good base jump shot as well for your fridge

Hey, cats like to get after it, too!

Jhernand · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 175
Stich wrote:Tell us your shoe size Michelle and we might be able to help you out. A lot of us have tons of old women's shoes kicking about in the gear trunk. I think I might even have some new ones. No charge.
hummm... bet this makes her feel real comfortable... for some odd reason you have tons of old women's climbing shoes in a trunk somewhere... makes you wonder.
coloradotomontana Erley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 75

Are the brackets really necessary? Can't we just type like [regular] people?

Climbing Around · · Yonkers, NY · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 45
Jhernand wrote: hummm... bet this makes her feel real comfortable... for some odd reason you have tons of old women's climbing shoes in a trunk somewhere... makes you wonder.
Watch out for that one!

Shoe size request makes sense. I happen to have alot of older but not worn out gym rentals available, so I say it is a valid request. We've helped out people on this site who had their gear racks stolen with free donated gear, so why not shoes, harness for a newbee to the sport? Good karma.

Finn The Human · · The Land of Ooo · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 106

Michelle, I'm in Salt Lake and am always willing to climb with new people. My buddy and I go up Little & Big Cottonwood quite regularly. I'm currently recovering from a back injury so I haven't been going as much as I'd like to, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

My friend and I both meet your criteria for age, experience, and life style. In fact, I work at a rehab center for teens :)

If you want to climb sometime, feel free to send me an e-mail!

WOAH!! I didn't realized I would get all that from my post. hehe. Ummmm... where to start. Yes, Price, thank you, that is me. I'm impressed that you were smart enough to find my facebook pic, via my post on my profile about some of my climbing pics. But too bad you were dumb enough to post my picture on my thread :P hehe. And Scott, male scumbag pop up where ever pretty ladies are. I know that, you know that, good thing I can take care of myself, and I have guy friends/father/brothers that would beat a fool if he tried.

I wear about an 8 1/2 woman's in street shoes, so like a size 6 in woman's climbing shoes, right? I think that's about how it's supposed to work. haha! I don't know exactly what climbing shoes size I wear, and it depends on the shoe. If anyone has a pair of shoes for me to grab off them, at least until I get the funds to get my own pair, that would be pretty fab.

I'm up for climbing with whomever wants to teach, as long as you aren't a scumbag, loser, that is wanting to do anything but climb and be a BAMF! Just send me a message, and we shall go from there :)

Yup. 8 and a half womens is about a 6 in the mens sizing, or about a 38 in Euro sizes. Helps to try on some shoes to be sure what will fit comfortably as a new climber. Some shoe manufacturers run really small for the size (MadRock, Montrail) so be prepared to up-size your shoes the first time. Can always wear thin socks in the larger ones to get started. Thanks for the shout out, and best of luck in SLC.

Mishel Gougler · · Arlington VA · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 185

lmao

Jon Ruland · · Tucson, AZ · Joined May 2007 · Points: 646

it's a good thing you're climbing and not getting involved in a dangerous activity like cycling.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520
Jhernand wrote: hummm... bet this makes her feel real comfortable... for some odd reason you have tons of old women's climbing shoes in a trunk somewhere... makes you wonder.
If you have been climbing as long as I have and had as many relationships during that time, you'd have a fookin' trunk o' women's shoes too, laddy.

michellesherie wrote:I wear about an 8 1/2 woman's in street shoes, so like a size 6 in woman's climbing shoes, right? I think that's about how it's supposed to work. haha! I don't know exactly what climbing shoes size I wear, and it depends on the shoe.
I'm not so sure about that, but you are right that It Depends® on the shoe. The shoes I have are a woman's #9. The other pair I have floating around that I could get back are size 7 1/2 I think. I loaned them to a woman and we haven't gotten back with exchanging them. I'm pretty sure she hasn't climbed with them since she got them three years ago from me.

Eh, I don't think I can 'elp ya. But I'm sure someone has a pair for you for free or cheap.
Taylor Krosbakken · · Duluth, MN · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 1,086

well price, you're a better, or more accurate stalker than i. this is the michelle sherie i found on facebook.
--- Invalid image id: 106747111 ---

Sam Feuerborn · · Carbondale · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 810

You might want to send this note up your chimney I think Mary Poppins might be your prime belayer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Utah Partners
Post a Reply to "I have [a little] experience but I'm a big fan…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started