Mountain Project Logo

what to do with my wedding band while i climb?

no1nprtclr · · Front range Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 55

why is divorce so expensive?

cause it's worth it. yuk yuk, lol

just messin' with ya.

have your honey hold it for you 'til you get back. that's what I might do in your situation, but, then again, if I were to have that kind of a relationship, she would be with me on the rock, ice, mtns, wherever, at least most of the time, unless there's a schedule issue between us. 3mm cord around the neck, a wedding ring doesn't always have to be on the finger. it's knowing you're committed to each other that counts. heck there's a lot of people that forgo rings. the cost of rings could mean three months overseas...

Juan

Paul Hunnicutt · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 325

+2 mini biner on your chalkbag. I use a locker so there is no way it is getting lost.

Glenn Schuler · · Monument, Co. · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,330

I put mine in the zippered chalk bag pocket. If I'm going to do multi pitch and put a topo in there or something, I'll clip it to the keyholder in my pack. The main thing is to always do it the same way - still haven't lost mine after 17 years.

Congrats on getting hitched!

LeeAB Brinckerhoff · · Austin, TX · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10,288

Careful with girth hitching, I know guys that have had the ring come off, I used a clove hitch tied around the ring. You should also use a clasp of some sort if you go with a necklace, which is what I do, you could hang yourself with a tied piece of 3mm cord. It might sound unlikely but if it happened...

Wayne DENSMORE · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 5

Leave it home. Show her a picture of a degloved finger and she will probably remind you!!

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

Leave your wedding band in a nice little box on your dresser when you go cragging. You'll appreciate not worrying about losing it or scratching it to hell. On road trips do the same thing but hide it in luggage or somewhere safe. It's just not fun misplacing it while out on the rock or the hideous prospect of a degloved finger. Cords around the neck never appealed to me, as they could strangle you if caught on something and if too weak, well, the ring plummets into the void.

Also, there are gold buyers that pay a lot more than pawn shops for those of you wanting to trade in.

Eastvillage · · New York, NY · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 80

Leave it at home.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Swallow it. Search for it hours, days later, after that rice and beans dinner. Yes, I'm single.

H BL · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 95

I either leave it home or put it on a locking biner attached to my harness.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

From the question, you'd think there were no married women climbers with wedding rings. Well maybe there aren't. My husband and I both skipped the rings, so it's never been a problem.

Tparis · · Pottersville,New York · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 270

I used to hang mine around my neck but my climbing partner kept trying to steal it, so now I keep it at home, secret and safe.

matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

Next time you top out on a hard climb to a beautiful view, take it off and throw it as far as you can. If it comes back to you it was meant to be...

Joe D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 50
LeeAB wrote: you could hang yourself with a tied piece of 3mm cord. It might sound unlikely but if it happened...
Has anyone actually done this?
If you use cord you can tie a double fisherman to make the necklace and that way if it snagged it would loosen to a size that is bigger than your head.
Mark Cushman · · Cumming, GA · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 980
Cory Harelson · · Boise, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,410
Paul Hunnicutt wrote:+2 mini biner on your chalkbag. I use a locker so there is no way it is getting lost.
That's my technique too. Usually works pretty well, but I did have one mishap. We were downclimbing a squeeze chimney in Joshua tree to get off of a formation. The chalk bag was getting in the way, so I took it off and moved it to a side gear loop, but in the process the ring came off the biner. I could hear it bounce down the chimney and it took us 30 minutes of looking around the boulder pile at the bottom to find it.
Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

I leave mine at home if I remember, otherwise I put it on my watch band and leave them in my pack or the car. It's annoying though so I'm getting mine tattooed on as soon as I can deal with the short healing window of not climbing.

Mattq331 · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 15

Never had one to lose, or mess up. Much easier that way, and beside, I always hated jewelry.

20th wedding anniversary next month BTW.

kachoong · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 180
Woodchuck ATC wrote:I say just bring the band along, and let them play some rock'n tunes from the base of the routes for all to enjoy.
Heh!
Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

dumbest thread ever on MP

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

I've got a ti ring and they can be cut off if necessary. I don't really want to find out though! I've smashed mine in something heavy a few times and it's still round. The tat just seems miles easier and then I can leave the actual ring at home anywhere I might lose it or have to take it off, climbing and the machine shop being the big 2.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "what to do with my wedding band while i climb?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started