Mountain Project Logo

Cool Choss vs. Not Cool Choss

Original Post
Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,525

So what makes some choss cool, and other choss... Well choss?
For example:
Black Canyon = cool choss
Rifle = hard choss, but cool cuz it's hard... I guess
CCC = not cool because it's backyard sport choss... I hear

Tom R · · Denver, CO · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 140

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like CCC choss. I like backyard choss. Heck, I even like North Table choss.
I wouldn't encourage someone to drive across the country to climb at CCC, but I rave about new routes up there all the time.

Rob Dillon · · Tamarisk Clearing · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 760

Cool choss is the choss you found and climbed and had a fun adventure on.

Not cool is when I repeat it, knowing that you've already done it. Choss without the cool part is just choss.

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

hahahahahaaaahhahahahahahahahahaa.

where does Eldo choss fit in? historic choss?

I heart CCC too, but your right. It's certainly not a destination, but sure is a fun after work spot.

Right on the money Rob. Un-cool choss is just choss.

So what makes the Fishers cool?

WiledHorse wrote:hahahahahaaaahhahahahahahahahahaa. where does Eldo choss fit in? historic choss?
I think Eldo would be historic, beautiful, not always choss, "choss"
Monty wrote:I heart CCC too, but your right. It's certainly not a destination, but sure is a fun after work spot. Right on the money Rob. Un-cool choss is just choss. So what makes the Fishers cool?
life's a journey. not a destination. Steve T said it himself.

is choss necessarily a bad thing? i think it takes great skill to be able to climb safely through said choss. think of it like... training for the black canyon or something?

CCC an AFTER-work spot??? it IS work!
besides there isnt anything good there.
Monty wrote:Fishers cool?
bc they look cool. thats about it. does mud climbing count as choss, er, rock climbing?
Bapgar 1 · · Out of the Loop · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 90

Eldo is unquestionably historic, certainly chossy, but interspersed with some amazing climbing.

brentapgar wrote:Eldo is unquestionably historic, certainly chossy, but interspersed with some amazing climbing.
Agree. It also makes me pee my self sometimes too! So that's definately cool.
brentapgar wrote:Eldo is unquestionably historic, certainly chossy, but interspersed with some amazing climbing.
No doubt!
Christopher Jones · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 910

I prefer the cool choss of the South PLatte.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

i tend to like wingate choss probably the best. it is linear and you know how it works. you know how to 'not' use it and get by.

i like chinle choss in corners, cause you can press into it instead of pull on it.

i don't really care for eldo choss because you usually have to reef on it, your only piece of gear is in it (above a ledge of course), and it feels like kind of a roll of the dice. it will probably not break, but sometimes it does.

limestone choss can be kind of cool.

for some reason i don't like granite choss, although i climb a lot of it. this can vary widely from loose chockstones in chimneys to the horriffic avalanching kitty litter that you find in parts of the platte. also the flaky stuff on a lot of the platte slabs that peels off when you look at it, eliminating the edge you were about to try to stand on.

CCC choss is pretty interesting. i half hate it half enjoy it. it is definitely more enjoyable when you have a good bolt nearby!

great thread!

this is borderline choss:

P. Ross on the FA. 2002.

Come on now, that's like the fishers, since it looks cool it's not choss. Ok mabe boarderline

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,103

for those desperate to bag some FA's, there are only a million of those left and they are going in a hurry! (and i odn't mean getting climbed in a hurry, i mean ERODING!)

Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,370
Choss.

This sort of thing makes the fishers seem solid. I mean seriously how many fishers routes were equipped with 3/8 x 8" nails that were strait up pounded into the mud???

It's mostly about the aesthetics, also the challange, takes some balls and skills to climb choss well.

Where are crusher and paul ross, they should chime in on this one.
Will Anglin wrote: It's just cool. No matter where you go there is always 'some' loose rock, that doesn't make it choss. The Black Canyon has some of the most bullet rock on the planet. More people should climb there, it's a bummer it has such a 'scary' rep.
your right, how are conditions in the black?
BJ Sbarra · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 671

I think there are a few more varieties of choss out there we should consider:

splitterchoss.com/2008/06/1…

Phil Lauffen · · Innsbruck, AT · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 3,098

ya'll are crazy. I love choss. The chossier the better. I hate those solid climbs where you can't move the handholds.

Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? · · Vegas · Joined May 2005 · Points: 4,115

Cool choss if you are in a remote, and beautiful area with snakes, and lizards, and a few happy cows thrown in, with old mining/ranching remnants strewn about on the approach, and you have the place all to yourselves.

Not so cool choss if you are within earshot of meth heads, drug runners, and/or a noisy highway, there's nasty garbage laying around, and you feel like if you survive the chossy climb, you may not survive the sketchy walk back to your vehicle.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cool Choss vs. Not Cool Choss"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started