Mountain Project Logo

Memorial Service for Colorado climber and guide, Heidi Kloos Saturday

Original Post
Todd R · · Ophir · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 20

A big wet slide took Heidi Kloos from us on Tuesday. Hopes of an Easter miracle were shattered when friends found her near the toe of a huge debris field, under 4-5' of snow yesterday afternoon.

Anyone fortunate enough to have experienced Heidi's unceasing positivity is encouraged to join friends and family in Ridgway, CO for a 1 pm memorial service this Saturday, April 3rd. Details and directions will follow.

We are so sad to have lost this dear friend, inspiration and unwavering force of good energy and humility. Please join us to celebrate her indomitable spirit.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Todd, regretfully, please relay my condolence and also gratitude to those that helped bring Heidi home.

Jamie Lynn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 0

I met Heidi about ten years ago when I first started climbing. She took me to visit her parents at her home in Paonia, then we headed out on my first real climbing adventure. I wrote this piece last fall, remembering some of my more poignant climbing moments and partners. Heidi was the real deal.

aspen.com/aspen/colorado/ar…

Thanks for that post Jamie Lynn.

Heidi's dog Minke was with her on Tuesday and refused to leave her, despite rescuers best efforts at getting her to come home on Wednesday. Minke is surrounded by friends, warm and safe after spending two nights out in bad weather.

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196

My condolences to all those who knew Heidi. While her dog Minke may not have her best friend any more I'm glad to hear she is not alone.

Doug

Posted on behalf of Angela Hawse:

Friends -

A celebration of Heidi Kloos' life will be held at 1:00 Saturday afternoon on Tony and Gary's ranch, where Heidi's lived and worked. Heidi wasn't much for glitz, so it will be casual ceremony, with a potluck to follow. If you would like to share some words about Heidi that will be honored.

Please bring a dish and a beverage to share as we honor Heidi, and gather to be with one another for this devastating loss. If the weather is nice we'll be outside, if fickle, inside. Expect mud, tears, and abundant love. And lots of cut alpacas and a couple of camels.

If you have any photos of Heidi, please email them to me asap. I'd like to put together a slideshow to share.

Please pass this on far and wide to Heidi's circle of friends. There will likely be another gathering of the tribe to celebrate Heidi's life in the desert this spring for those who can't make it tomorrow. Directions below.

Love,
Angela

Address: Suris of the Western Slope Ranch, 3200 County Rd. 24, Ridgway

Directions: If coming from Ridgway, turn left off of County Rd 24 onto 24 C/D (right before Dennis Weaver's place). Entrance to the Ranch is the second driveway on the left (shortly after you cross the small bridge). Go under the gables heading east and then the drive takes a 90º bend heading south. Drive right up towards the barn, past alpacas and cupcakes. If coming from the Telluride area, turn left on County Rd 24D as you would to go to Log Hill Village. Turn right before the small bridge, and go under the gables into the ranch driveway.

From Ridgway - mapquest.com/maps?1c=Ridgwa…

From Telluride - mapquest.com/maps?1c=Tellur…

Sylvie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

I wish I could be there to honor Heidi tomorrow. I was fortunate to go to the Alaska Range with Heidi and Mountain Trip last summer in the first adaptive experiment if you will, in conjunction with TASP (Telluride Adaptive Sports Program). I had plans to return to Alaska this summer with the same trip, knowing that Heidi's indominable spirit that kept us all going would be there leading the way. I'm devastated to hear she can't guide us back there this summer in person, but I know her spirit will be closeby every step of the way.

Heidi you have left some huge footprints in many lives. Thanks for touching mine. RIP friend.

Sylvie

Jon Miller on the WS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 15

Heidi is going to be deeply missed by everyone who knew her.
Jon

Steve Powell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 915

so sorry to hear this. my condolences to her friends and family

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Memorial Service for Colorado climber and guide…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started