Mountain Project Logo

In Memory of Mike Neu (the Rock)

matt fetbrod · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 125
At the "Ironclads", May, 2001.

Rock had always read the newspaper before picking me up for climbing in the morning. No matter how early, he had an interesting news story on his mind for the drive. This particular day in the Ironclads happened to be Bob Dylan's 60th Birthday. May 24, 2001. Wandering around, trying to orient ourselves in the Ironclads, we stumbled across a route called "Subterranean Homesick Blues". We thought, "gotta do this one". It turned out wasn't the best route we did that day, but we both enjoyed the coincidence and a little celebration of Dylan's birthday.
EdAsh · · CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 5

Hey Matt

>> Rock was really happy about sending this one- "Mercy Drilling", Boulder Canyon, Sept., 2001. >>

Rock was probably even more happy when I sent this one! ("Mercy Drilling")

Thanks for posting some great photos.

Joseph Crotty · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 1,903

I been looking at this thread for the better part of two weeks thinking "Mike sounds like my kind of guy." Then a recent photo from this thread triggered my memory - Mike was an Eldo regular for years and I had seen him many times.

I never roped up with Mike but he haunted Eldo. He was always cordial on the trail and more often then not we would strike up a good conversation.

I'll miss his presence in Eldo. That look of a child on a serene yet joyful exploration.

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

If you can judge a person by their friends. Mike was gold.

Fly free man.

mikeneu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 0

Matt

All of the photos are so wonderful. Thank you so much for posting them. Godfried I love the ones that you posted as well- they bring back to my mind the times he was so young!

matt fetbrod wrote:Rock was an incredibly giving friend and the best climbing partner I've ever had. Rock worked hard, read heartily, loved a good story, and always had my back. I can't express how saddened I am to hear about his death.
Mike lived in eldo before it became a park. I lived in eldo after it became a park. We bonded! We climbed (hard!!). Now I am sad...
August 2001- after the Vertigo rappels
Rock was always so incredibly efficient. I thought sometimes that he enjoyed the quest for perfection in efficiency of all things technical as much as he enjoyed the actual climbing. As a baker he was the same way. Every day he was a little faster than the day before as he'd constantly be finding more efficient ways to do the work. Here he is in this photo simultaneously pulling the rope through the anchor and meticulously coiling.

Matt,
Thanks for another great "Rock" story. I was always impressed how Mike could coil a perfect single or double strand butterfly (with no left over long or short loops) in a matter of seconds. And as your picture shows, he was always smiling while "taking care of business".

A single day climbing with Mike was easily equivalent to a week climbing with other folks. Man, I miss him...

ed

Hello All!

A memorial celebration for Michael "Rock" Neu will be held on Saturday, May 15th in Eldorado Canyon State Park. Please join Mike's family and friends in the picnic area near the park headquarters anytime from 10AM 'til about 2PM. All are welcome. Arrive when you want. Stay as long as you want. Dress very casually - Make it a climbing day too! (Mike would've insisted, I'm sure) We will have food, beverages(including some of Mike's favorites), and a grill or two for BBQ. BYO only if you want.
Mike's ashes will be released to the winds soon after 10 o'clock.

bump to Matt's message. Hope to see you all out there tomorrow

ed

Bob Chesley · · Nottingham, NH · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Godfried wrote: On the subject of how careful Rock was about safety, let me add a missing piece. When I first met him Rock was only just starting to climb again after a serious accident. Yarding on a stuck rappel rope pulled down a large rock. Rock's partner was able to step aside, he had to bail from a ledge 20ft off the deck and broke both his feet. The only thing he said about the event was how humiliating it felt having to be rescued and that he never wanted to experience that again.
Bob Chesley · · Nottingham, NH · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

So, I was that partner - we were on Melvin’s Wheel on Lumpy Ridge in Estes Park. Rock and I had previously done the Petit Grepon in RMNP (my personal best and an amazing day).

The worst thing about the accident was that his wedding was only a week away. We both worked at the Harvest Restaurant in Boulder which is how we met.

I can still see the boulder coming down on us. I ran toward the chimney at the end of the ledge we were on and Mike jumped to the talus below. Thank goodness the boulder didn’t strike either of us directly.

After the boulder broke up and passed I climbed down to check on him and assess his condition. He was very calm and since he did not seem to be going into shock I ran back to the parking lot and because the thunderstorm that drove us off the route also affected others I was able to muster a small group to return to Mike and we carried him out on a makeshift stretcher using a climbing rope.

I then drove him to Boulder Community Hospital.

Climb on Mike!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Memorial
Post a Reply to "In Memory of Mike Neu (the Rock)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started