Mountain Project Logo

What tele ski do you recomend

Original Post
Sergio P · · Idaho Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 185

I’ve been riding Karu Jacks for the past 7 years. These are the old twin tip orange ones. They used to ride like a Cadillac but now they have the camber of a rubber band and have multiple core shots. Thus, I’m finally converting these to my rock skis. Since I haven’t been in the ski market for over 7 years I’m wondering what tele ski you would recommend.

Below are some specks to help you understand how I ski.
1. My current ski dimensions are about 170 long 120 at the tip and around 100 underfoot. I think I want to expand the tip and underfoot to around 130/105.
2. I will be mounting my hammer head bindings on what ever new ski I get
3. My boots are T2s
4. I spend about half my time in the back country and half at the resort
5. I tend to ski powder, trees, back country crud and soft bumps. I almost never get on hard pack.
6. Most people consider me an aggressive tele skier b/c I tend to get lower then necessary. Hey, I like my face shots!

So basically, I’m looking for a good all around ski and wondering if anyone has some good suggestions.

stredna · · PA · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 135

you like the giants?

W.S. · · Montana · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 65

Karhu doesn't make the Jak anymore, but they've got the Team 100 which at 130/100 is pretty close to your desired dimensions.

Honestly, I'm not going to be much help, but I bet these guys would have some suggestions for you: Telemark Tips

stredna wrote:you like the giants?
More like fanatic about the Giants.

Thanks WS for the link, I'll check it out.

Anyone else have personal suggestions?
dtomczik · · Bishop, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 75

G3 Reverends?

AJS · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

I learned recently that Karhu just got absorbed/sold into K2...K2 had been pressing Karhu skis for a while, so I'm hoping K2 keeps the Karhu designs alive, but who knows. It could mean you might find some good deals on them though :)

I love my Team 100's (as does another friend who skis them). Another friend has the Team 130's but those are like two snowboards on your feet.

I'd suggest the Black Diamond kilowatts or K2 work stinx. I'm a big fan of BD's skis and have an older version of the work stinx (my rock skis)...

bigwallrog · · the farside · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 20

Not a tele skier myself but almost all the people I ski with are and they all swear by the Voile Insane, I ski em AT and have been super impressed with them also .

I have a friend who skis the kilowatt's and loves em.

And the old K-2 work stinx was my go to ski before the Insane

matt davies · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

Volkl Crossrangers

bigwallrog wrote: most all the people I ski . . . all swear by the Voile Insane, I ski em AT and have been super impressed with them also .
I've heard that before, but I was wondering if they are really heavy for back country touring. What do you think? Is there much of a difference in weight between a alpine ski like that and a tele specific ski?

And keep the inputs coming in!
Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405

I really like the BD Justice for lightweight floatiness and an ability to put it on edge and carve.
Your aggressiveness should compliment them well.
I ski them with Dynafits.

BackCountry Sortor · · Ogden, UT · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 400

Person Suggestion: I'm wicked serious about the ones that can be put together!

My improved shred planks!

Sorry about not getting back to ya sooner

The insane is a very light ski my ski partnkers wife skis them At and shreds everything trees ect w them

They make em w the tely inserts or a std flat deck

I don't think there heavy even compared to my Goode carbon 82s but I have them mounted w Dukes so my suggestion is to check em out I think you'll find them very light

The insane is a very light ski my ski partnkers wife skis them At and shreds everything trees ect w them

I don't think there heavy even compared to my Goode carbon 82s but I have them mounted w Dukes so my suggestion is to check em out I think you'll find them very light

Aaron G · · Driggs, ID · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 85

I love my Karhu Storms
karhuskico.com/product/storm

Blake Cazier · · duluth MN · Joined May 2010 · Points: 5

scottybobs - bought them in silverton at the factory and have loved them. I understand they have some new models since I got mine about 8 years ago

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "What tele ski do you recomend"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started