Mountain Project Logo

surfing and wave sailing

kirra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 530

hey -hi Pat..!! -- I had a crazy "time & weight-crunch" & didn't end up bringing the gear. It didn't seem like you might be able to get out -sorry- fins & snorkel came instead. Will try again next time -lets keep in touch, good luck in school (: >~

most of my time was spent on maui - on oahu (your island) I went kayaking in Kailua bay w/the turtles & did a tour of Sea Life Park -had a really great time. I'll be posting up a few more pics soon

I never got tired of this place...

--- Invalid image id: 106678705 ---

or this one...

--- Invalid image id: 106678719 ---

Here's more if anyone is bored with looking at snow...

--- Invalid image id: 106678725 ---

palms swaying in the breeeeze ~ ~ ~

--- Invalid image id: 106678720 ---

I came upon this female (I think) as she was sun-bathing. Before I realized what it was, I must have jumped backwards about 15 feet when I heard this unexpected *wild* grunting sound

--- Invalid image id: 106678721 ---

one more here ya go...

--- Invalid image id: 106678729 ---

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190

I'll follow Kirra's lead and post a few images from the hood .

God forgives , rocks DON"T !

Bump and Jump

power jibe

down the line

Olaf is that you out there..???

nice back

;-)

trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Kirra:
Your pictures are beautiful.

The one captioned "Baldwin Beach"...
Is that Baldwin or is it Paia beach right in town?

trundlebum wrote:Kirra: Your pictures are beautiful. The one captioned "Baldwin Beach"... Is that Baldwin or is it Paia beach right in town?
thanks TB ~H.A. Baldwin Beach is just west (to the left as you face the ocean) of "Paia Beach" This photo was taken at the far west end of Baldwin. There is a little sand hill back behind these trees that give an xlnt workout for the calves (:

Those photos are of me and thanks for the back compliment.
That section of Baldwin Beach in question is known as Baby Beach due to the safe swimming area in the tide pools. In another place that beach would be overrun with tourists but around here it is mostly deserted year round. Go figure?

AJS · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Just got back from my week in Maui too. Absolutely fantastic :)

Everyone on the island was super friendly - anybody want to hire a Physicist? I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Mahalo!

This seems to be a relatively normal forecast this winter.

The north shores - The new NW swell, which has triggered high surf warnings, will be large to very large Tuesday…keeping the surf up through midweek into Thursday. Another NW swell will push the surf up again Thursday into Friday…gradually dropping into the weekend. The surf will be good through Tuesday, although will then get roughed up by the onshore north to northeast winds Wednesday and Thursday. The next large NW swell will arrive right after the weekend, and then another around the middle of next week.

"Lanes" on my way in to Paia.

Heyun · · Charleston S.C. · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 455

A good caption for that photo: "Lonely are the Brave"

Thanks for the photos Olaf... I meant to say Mahalo a few weeks ago after that oh so nice and mellow looking shot of the Point at Hookipa. Looked like the perfect morning.

We have not had a good swell here since the day after Christmas, which I missed due to family obligations. We've had maybe 2 other 3 hour windows of decent waves.

El Nino is bastard thing for us... as if we're not wave starved enough already.

I look forward to these photos... tanks eh!

AJS · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Here's what we saw from about the same spot a few days earlier

near paia, maui, hawaii

Some days you just say NO to getting into the ocean and Friday was one of those days for me. Three of my pals went out in those knarlly conditions and rode some great big ole waves. My congratulations to Russ,Art,and Dale!
My friend Giampallo posted some great shots of their wave sailing session on his blogg so please check it out! OK?
mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/

Well it's confirmed, I am flying over to the mainland to compete in the 2010 Pistol River Wave Bash on the southern Oregon Coast in mid June.
My buddy Victor "The Inflictor" Roy is going to pick me and my gear up at the airport in Portland and we'll drive down to "Rio Pistola" in his van.
I haven't sailed there in 10 years I'M SOOO STOKED !!! All the old gang will be down for the event!

It's time to get the training going and I just happen to live in the best place on the planet to train for a wave sailing competition.

J.B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 150

I revise my previous post about my favorite surf movie as Endless Bummer, it's now Surfer Dude, and by quite a long shot.

Pat C · · Honolulu · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 45

Lemme just say that if you move to hawaii to be a grad student, don't expect to spend a lot of time surfing. Fuck!

Pat, I work at the beach everyday and I don't get enough time on the water eather! You have to be free when the conditions are great or your missin out ! I must admit that my odds are better than most of da Buggas dat haf ta work fo a livin an dat makes me smile alot!

Pat C · · Honolulu · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 45

Hahaha, ya bro. I get a little down sometimes, but I've gotta admit that I get some great waves on a regular basis. I was out a Makaha a couple weeks a go (I love the west side, gets me out of town) and got only like two waves... but they were like the best waves i've gotten in soooooo long, that wave is endless. Later I smacked up my board on some dry reef (stupid), but I felt good still, from those waves. So I complain, but when I get just one good wave I gotta get more water time.

naw that's a postcard fer-sure braddah haha-- amazing photo..!!!

have fun in June Olaf, you've got a perfect training spot, take care
~kirra

trundlebum · · Las Vegas NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 85

Nice shot Olaf.
looks like past Oluwalu headed toward Lahaina town?

maybe that cool little spot right on the side of the road. Four or five prominent pine trees ?
(don't know the name other than maybe 'Pine Trees'?)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "surfing and wave sailing"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.