Mountain Project Logo

Drinking while climbing

Paul Irby · · moab, ut · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 141

99% of those bolts you like to clip were drilled by someone under the influence of something.

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

GeorgeKennedy said:
"Meanwhile, I'll have another."

Wayne Crill · · an Altered State · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 375
Zeke wrote:Pre, post, during, beer is a wonderful additive to a climbing day. Kids, however, are largely a nuisance at the crag. If my loud mouthed, irresponsible drunkenness discourages you from infesting my climbing area with those little cragroaches, then my work is complete.
Lets see, how do the message bored kids express their support...?

+ 1 more Hendricks & cucumber martini ... and who's up for some climbing? I got one leg, two hands, and a mostly full bottle of gin...
Bryan Gall · · New Castle, CO · Joined Sep 2002 · Points: 260
Paul Irby wrote:99% of those bolts you like to clip were drilled by someone under the influence of something.
Enjoy a six pack, a bag a bolts, and 36 volts of irresponsibility. Nothing cuts through the rock dust like cold Milwaukee tap water.
Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

I wasn't talking about the people driving 180 mph inches from one another; I was refer to you, driving down the highway at 80 mph. Do you wear a helmet while you drive? That would surely clear this up if so.

--Marc

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
mcarizona wrote:GeorgeKennedy said: "Meanwhile, I'll have another."
....and he wasn't dumb enough to haul it up that cliff either..he had John do it. A lesson to be learned; always have your noob' haul the beer load.
Heather Haynes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 80

a gigantic THANK YOU is a must to you all....

this post brings new meaning to the phrase LOL.....maybe FOOMCLOL
(fall out of my chair laugh out loud!)

and btw I belay quite well with a beer in hand :)

I happen to be an amazing multi-tasker with important matters in hand...yes... pun intended

safety first, fun always...what else is the point of being alive?????

Todd Gordon · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 10,796

If you get drunk and climb and get hurt, the climbers on rescue who are coming to pick up your broken body have been drinking and climbing all day too........keep that in mind.... (Beer, bolts, and babes.....keep it real....)......

KarlyS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0

That's a good one Todd! Oh but wait, I'm drinking while typing...I'll go with the multi-tasking thing.

Aaron S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 150

I can't wait for Robin to throw up some pics of himself rocking his helmet while driving to work in the morning.

Bob Dergay · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 101
The Larry wrote:How about.... using inflatable animals as extra protection to offset a drunken belay?
2 Quick Points:

1. Larry: if you've already got crabs.. why do you need protection at that point?

2. Regarding the whole canard about, "drinking could cause accidents and endanger our access": I'd be willing to wager a 6-pack that the majority of climbing accidents involve inexperience and inattentiveness without any alcohol present. (this goes back to JohnL's remark about the gri-gri being more to blame than the beer) And if that is the case, then one could speculate that beer drinkers are the safer climbers...

So if you're not competent enough to quaff beers while you're pulling down... please go away, you're endangering our access.
Spencer Dries · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 95

Anyone ever realize your chalk bag is a great beer holder while climbing? You can take a drink and chalk your hands at the same time. I love it!

Evan1984 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 30
Spencer wrote:Anyone ever realize your chalk bag is a great beer holder while climbing? You can take a drink and chalk your hands at the same time. I love it!
I prefer wild turkey in a camelback
jason seaver · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 1,548

Tecate isn't bad for the warm days, but Dale's is almost always the best option.

Perhaps draining the beer before the leader starts up is a good idea.

Amos Patrick · · Estes Park · Joined Dec 2001 · Points: 337

What? Not everyone carries a summit flask? I thought that it was standards issue.

Warming up on the Third Flatiron.

Or a belay beer?
Dale has us on belay!

How many of you have included taking a swig as a move in add-on?
The crux add-on move.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610
Devils Tower

The descent was a little hairy!
Phoenix · · louisville, colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 310

Effin hilarious...... +1 for a cold Dale's Pale while sitting on a hot rock.

Mark Cushman · · Cumming, GA · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 980

Here's Mike after I pulled an "Eiger Sanction" on him:

Me enjoying my practical joke:

Ryan Kelly · · work. · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 2,960

The pinkie is definitely extended there.
TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

Time for a safety meeting:

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Drinking while climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started