Mountain Project Logo

You know what sucks about Mountain Project in the winter?

Original Post
Shawn Mitchell · · Broomfield · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 250

There are so many threads about buying and selling sharp pointy things! It clogs up the "What's New" feed! And some of the sharp pointy things have cool sounding names and trick me into clicking there. It's really aggravating!

In the housebound weeks and months of this Arctic season, I come to MP to get my fix. But the place is overrun by Icefarians jangling their weapons of war. Summer sun, where ARE you??

Stefanie Van Wychen · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 75

It's currently only shining in the gym.....

Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? · · Vegas · Joined May 2005 · Points: 4,115

Lately, it's been spring-like, sunny, and warm in Red Rock by Colorado's standards, but we'll be driving hundreds of miles in search of wintry weather to play in. I love my (cover your ears, Shawn) ski's shiny, razor sharp edges that cut like butter through the (don't look) SNOW.

youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNO…

EDIT: Winter = less time on MP = more cooking at home.

What's New on MP? Meet my Alien fetus cookies; my own design, of course. ; /

Alien babies.

Instead of climbing before work, I made scary Javelina cookies with big sharp pointy teeth the other day.

"Houston, we have a problem."

Christopher Jones · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 910

Nice cookies!

timt · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 50

IN ELDO!!! climbed in the sun on the west ridge today with only a light fleece!

it is bitter cold on the canyon floor, but game on at the walls.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

sorry rock-catz, we climbed into the whorehouse today & feel like an f'n stud. I was sharp-pointy all over the place.

Jon Cheifitz · · Superior/Lafayette, Co · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 90

Shawn,

Your just going to have to follow suit and start ice climbing.
OR
If you need a partner to do some aid stuff around town, shot me an email.

-Jon

Andrew Caraballo · · Milwaukie, OR · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 530

Ice climbing = misery, bring on the spring!!!

Eric D · · Gnarnia · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 235

... watching us Southern Arizona climbers climb nonstop all winter? :)

Scott Bennett · · Western North America · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 1,265

Are you kidding, it's gonna be 50 degrees and sunny this week! Sending temps, for those of use that actually use our bare hands to climb.

DaveB · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 1,075
Christopher Jones · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 910
Scott Bennett wrote:Are you kidding, it's gonna be 50 degrees and sunny this week! Sending temps, for those of use that actually use our bare hands to climb.
No shit man, if I wasn't on kid duty I'd be up on the Cathedral Spires in the Platte. I think I will at least go bouldering with the kids.
Ralph Kolva · · Pine, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 210

Plenty of people at Golden Cliffs yesterday in shorts and T-shirts and this week the weather looks good. Granted GC is not the best climbing around but it was warm and it's outside!

Shawn Mitchell · · Broomfield · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 250

Yes! Of very late, we've had some good sun-crag days. But they are the exception in this Minnesota winter in Colorado. I hope they resume their visits with greater frequency! In the meantime, it is a distinct affront dealing with the Icefarians and their macho babble about sharp pointy things designed for violence and penetration.

Grigri- I trust those alien fetuses were not unnaturally extracted!

Jon- yes, we should get out and hang on gear.

Scott- Thanks for the pm invite. I hope the Splatte was fabulous today.

Nathan Stokes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 440

The way to survive winter is to embrace it. Investing in the really aggressive sharp pointy things for going straight up ice, or the less aggressive ones for going up snow, or the long ones for going down snow. That way you can do things like this in the winter Winter in the Adirondacks. -10F in the sun on a summit with million dollar views is just as rewarding as climbing. Not to mention you get used to the cold.

Scott Bennett · · Western North America · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 1,265
Shawn Mitchell wrote:Yes! Of very late, we've had some good sun-crag days. But they are the exception in this Minnesota winter in Colorado.
I don't know, I think you have to expand your definition of climbable. Today was my fifth day out of 2010, and I've definitely had to work on at least a couple of sunny days.

Shawn Mitchell wrote:Scott- Thanks for the pm invite. I hope the Splatte was fabulous today.
It was great, thanks. I actually de-shirted mid-route it was so warm (and then regretted it later as I faced a potentially road-rash inducing whipper.)
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "You know what sucks about Mountain Project in t…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started