Mountain Project Logo

Movies about climbing or that have climbing in them?

Jim Sweeney · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 30

Sunny,

Does it need to be humans? Cause Frodo and Gollum do some climbing in the Lord of the Rings. The second installment if I remember correctly.
It looked mostly like 4th class stuff, but I've heard that Gollum could pull down some numbers when he roped up.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Dave Cummings wrote:K2 is the only movie I have seen where the climbing is really well done. If you haven't seen it go watch it now. It is about the first two americans to climb K2.
?? K2 the well known hollywood movie, or some climbing film/ documentary? The hollywood one is well known, and based on a 2 man one act play from about 3 years before the film. It mainly focused on the inner thoughts, lives of the 2 climbers in their struggle to survive afer a fall and injury. Even the on stage version had realism, where they created a 40 ft. high awesome styro 'ice wall to climb and the actors did real climbing with real gear. Often they called in local climbers to check for realism or gear loans to create the scene. I helped in such a way with a local Jr.college who presented K2 in their programs one year.
Chase Roskos · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 90

White Water Summer imdb.com/title/tt0094318/

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Chris Drover wrote:The Cave - Trad leading underground, and I can't remember, but there might even be ice climbing, too. Oh, and mutated Spetznaz devil creatures.
That was The Descent, already mentioned. The trad climb scene looks to me as an actual "pitch", albeit in a cave over an abyss. Best depiction of rock climbing in a commercial flick.

The cave demons are a metaphor for sport climbers, btw.
Bryan G · · June Lake, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 6,167

The Hills Have Eyes 2. Not the 1985 sequel to Wes Craven's original movie, the 2007 sequel to the 2006 remake of the original.

It's got all kinds of sillyness for climbers to enjoy - ropes being cut, rescue rappelling with a dead body, referring to free soloing as "freestyle". Plus it's a pretty legit movie in it's own right, worth checking out if you enjoy campy horror with lots of action. A hell of a lot better than the 2006 remake that it is based off of.

Forestvonsinkafinger · · Iowa · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,090

Charlie Chaplin: Gold Rush
Frank Capra: Lost Horizon

Monty · · Golden, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 3,525
JJNS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 531

Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Bily Graham Presents: The Climb

The climbing scenes were actually better than most of the movies already mentioned. Not great, tons of cheese, but okay, in all honesty.

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880
Mike Lane wrote: That was The Descent, already mentioned. The trad climb scene looks to me as an actual "pitch", albeit in a cave over an abyss. Best depiction of rock climbing in a commercial flick. The cave demons are a metaphor for sport climbers, btw.
! /;-) Being a Traddie', I can see that closing comment as true.
Mike Lane wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M
Ah yes, the Pythons take on Brit's legendary climbing cult. I've done many similar pitches as the one shown, usually very late Friday nights when leaving the pub, on local concrete.
Timothy Nolan · · Vermont · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 5

Star Trek 5: the Final Frontier

i will let it speak for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxzpWjM5Q8

william shatner free solo

Chris M · · Hailey, ID · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 945

Eiger Sanction is classic and Scream of Stone is worth watching for the Cerro Torre footage (shot on location)

jbones · · prescott, az · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 5

Classic Seinfeld scene

youtube.com/watch?v=-ocpSPo…

J C Wilks · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 310

Young Frankenstein

Blade Runner

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

"The White Hell of Pitz Palu"

Ho, man! I got that one from the library once. Great silent film and some of the silliest acting ever. Well worth viewing. The scenes where the dripping icicles haunt the doctor are priceless. His sweetheart is frozen in the crevasse and waits for him!

Kevin Cahill · · Bailey, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 40

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1993) - Pilot for a show that never got made...fortunately. The movie was horrible, but there's a climbing scene with a tyrolean traverse done by a sasquatch....yes, it's that bad!

bernard wolfe · · birmingham, al · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 265
Jeremy Monahan wrote:Take It To The Limit. Possibly the worst movie I have watched, this cinematic excretion redefines cheesy, and takes toproping to new heights of ridiculous. imdb.com/video/screenplay/v…
pretty extreeeme toproping
John Bradbury · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 380

Ninja Assassin :) Tons of freesoloing

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Movies about climbing or that have climbing in…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started