Mountain Project Logo

Cochise Refuse Roundup December 12-13 - XPost

Original Post
Brigette Beasley · · Monroe, WA · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 275

If you're planning to be in Southern Arizona the weekend of December 12-13, consider joining us in a weekend of cleaning up and climbing in the fabulous cochise stronghold.

More details here:

mountainproject.com/v/arizo…

Jorge Gonzalez · · San Gabriel, CA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

This might be a good excuse to travel out there from el lay. Will there be time to climb and maybe a few locals willing to direct out of towners to some of the classics? My parents live in Tucson.

Jorge: Definitely! I think we're planning one day of cleanup and one day of climbing or two half-and-half days. We'll be glad to show you to a few of the Cochise classics.

Contact Daryl Allan via the other post for more details.

Hope to see you out there!

Brigette

Jorge Gonzalez · · San Gabriel, CA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 0

Out of curiosity: Is it a good place to bring a horse for riding?

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0
Jorge Gonzalez wrote:Out of curiosity: Is it a good place to bring a horse for riding?
You certainly would be able to ride your horse out there. Plenty of dirt roads with very little traffic.

Jorge: You'll find pasture with good grass directly behind the parking area for Sheepshead. There are typically a few horses pastured there when I'm out climbing.

There are plenty of trails to ride; I'd stay off the dirt roads, unless your horse is dead broke - lots of idiots on quads.

Depending on your rig, you might have a time getting a loaded trailer down the last bit of forest service road to the Sheepshead parking. You can always park and unload at the main road and lead/ride from there.

The Cochise Refuse Roundup will be rescheduled to December, so that Beanfest can be held on November 7-8.

We'll post a firm date when we have one.

Thanks!

The Cochise Refuse Roundup will be held December 12-13, 2009. PM me for details and to volunteer.

Bump!

budman · · Moab,UT · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 11

Hey Brigette! Can't make the Beanfest (work is over rated and really cuts into the quality time). But I actually have off for the cleanup. Will try to roust some deadbeats from Moab to head south.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to meeting you, Bud.

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Any items you need for the clean up? Rakes, bags, etc?

Bill: Rakes are a great idea. I think we've got bags donated, but I don't think we could have too many.

Daryl Allan · · Sierra Vista, AZ · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 1,040

Hi all, just wanted to post an update here for the sake of awareness. I have been able to put more time into this and have 'revived' several contacts regarding sponsorships and donations. So far, we are still in the hole quite a bit for making the t-shirts a reality but i'm keeping the faith that it will come through in the end. Please keep the rsvp's coming as that helps us to get a target figure locked in for the "free" t-shirts (for participants).

As many of you have seen or heard, the dates were pushed back to allow Beanfest to take place last weekend (one killer Beanfest, btw). There is a chance the cleanup may get pushed back a 2nd time to allow more time for a pending Access Fund grant. The AF grant could be the silver bullet to put this thing into full operation so i'm willing to hold off if required. So heads up, once again, we may be polling again for input on dates if a postponement comes to pass.

We will be receiving some swag items for raffle. This will be a good fundraiser though I was trying to get the majority of the event funded from sources other than the climbing community. That being said, I promise to continue pursuing options that don't rely on squeezing $$ out of the people actually contributing their time for the cleanup.

Brigette has had some great ideas, not the least of which were a pancake breakfast (my personal fav), and a sign-up sheet at Beanfest. I have her to wholeheartedly thank for keeping me inspired and on on-track through all the "sorry, not this year" responses to requests for help/donations.

Additionally, we have been offered use of the cabins to base operations out of and, i would assume, lodging/refreshments/meals should we choose to move the cleanup to the East Stronghold. I am elated over this offer and would like to put the idea of moving the event to that side out for consideration. There will not be as much to climb over there due to the closures however quite a few areas will be in the sun early (lebowski, zappa, batline, wasteland, oot/ood, etc). I, personally, believe we will be contributing a huge amount to the Stronghold regardless of what side we hold the event on. The cabins, however, would be really nice. =)

That's all for the time being, but please do post feelings and comments.

Here is the t-shirt design; the back will be finalized once all the sponsors are determined.
front:

CRR Fall 2009
back:
CRR Fall 2009

CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 956

Well done Daryl.

Keep the world posted.

I already had the weekend of the 12-13th booked for this event. IN PEN !!

M

MichaelClimbs wrote:Well done Daryl. Keep the world posted. I already had the weekend of the 12-13th booked for this event. IN PEN !! M
We'll keep the 12th and 13th, even if it's a smaller version than the one we'll do next year. I've got commitments from too many people to be able to change it now without appearing flakier than my mom's pie crust. Mmmmm pie. :)
CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 956

This event is coming up.

Is it still on track??

I am making plans and packing the bags.

We're on!

8:00 Saturday, December 12, Isle of You campground. Potluck dinner Saturday, and pancake breakfast Sunday.

Daryl's got tons of great gear for door prizes!

Please PM me for more info and to RSVP. If you can bring a side dish to share Saturday night, that'd be awesome.

See you there!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Cochise Refuse Roundup December 12-13 - XPost"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started