Mountain Project Logo

Marty Karabin accident, Etc.

Steve_D. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 0

Marty! We're looking forward to seeing you tonight at Climbmax!

Maybe instead of wearing full length lycra from now on, you should get a zipper tattoo over the scar and wear a speedo!

Just a thought, Here's wishing you a speedy uncomplicated recovery!

Sandy Draus · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 45

I'm headed to Marty's to take his parents back to the airport. He can't grocery shop or anything near that...so give him a call when you're in his area to pick up whatever he needs.

Also, as to contributing...if you are local, I believe you can also drop off a check to the Phoenix Rock Gym and Michelle will be sure it gets in the account.

We'll post more pics soon. The huge bruising has mostly gone...that's really nice.

Tradster · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 0

Last night's fundraiser was very cool. Thanks Marty & Jim Waugh for putting it on. The event raised $1300 for Marty! Those photos of white painter's pants, rugby shirts, racks of hexes and stoppers only and EB shoes had me back in memory lane! Cool that Jim is now living in Thailand. Some cool photos from there, too.

Marty, you certainly have a great attitude and smile going in the face of some difficult financial issues you have right now. I really admire your outlook. I'm sending you positive karma. Glad you are following the doctor's advice. Hang in there.

It was nice to see you as its been a long time.

karabin museum · · phoenix. AZ · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,670

Hey guys the energy was awesome last night at Climbmax gym. The thanks should go hugely to Climbmax Gym for doing all of the work on the silent auction and getting Jim Waugh in town to do a great slideshow. I found the Waugh show very inspiring and the music he chose was wonderful. My mom and dad also commented on his music choices. Maybe I was totally thrilled about the show since I have climbed 90% of the climbs he showed, met almost everybody shown in the slides, and have most of their climbing gear in my museum. It was really fun to be out of the house and seeing so many familiar smiling faces. I really miss being at the gym and climbing with you guys and I am totally psyched to get back to work. Thanks Klime Clothing for making the awesome "Marty K is Broke-n" Tshirts. What a surprise!!! Nick you have a huge heart. I give a really big big big thanks to the whole climbing community for believing in me. Does this mean I have to disclose those secret crags I have been bolting over this summer? Hmmmm....not a chance!...........Just know that there is some new fantastic climbs that I have created ranging up to 140'. Many are 5 stars and a few are the best routes I have ever found!!! Thanks again Climbmax Gym for all of your sweat and energy, you totally rock!

As far as videos go, I have 50+ climbing videos to watch, but I started with Blazing Saddles, and Nacho Libre.

Hobbling happily......marty

Mike Covington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0

Last night's event drew 100+ people and raised $1332. About 70 stayed to watch Jim's show....definately brought back many memories for me.

Thanks and support should go to the companies that ponied up stuff. It was good to see the community come together to help.

Fletch · · Scottsdale · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 30

OMG. Are there any t-shirts left? That is hilarious!

By the way, the problem I fell on in Little Cottonwood Canyon UT is called "Double Dyno V2" in the Cabbage Patch area. If your right foot is on the lump hold to the right when making the catch on the huge sloper it only felt V0+, If you dyno from the right hold to the left hold, paste your feet on the flat wall and dyno up both hands it felt like a V2. A photo shown in rockclimbing.com is the V0+ version even though they are calling it V2. Next time I am bringing 12 pads and 14 spotters!!!! Hopefully that will be enough!

hobbling "where are those percocets" happily....marty

rockjockrob · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 50

Wow! I really want to get a Marty-k Shirt! that is awesome. Bolting new routes all over Arizona, that is where you have ben all summer?!?!?! And I thought you were cutting pages out of magazines for autographs at the show!

I will definately be one of the 14 spotters. lets hit the V2's fresh, what do you think?

Robert

Marty's stitches are out. Took his first shower yesterday...quite a difficult chore but well worth it. Scar is looking very good. Too bad the inside can't heal as quickly as the outside.

Marty's been feeding the kids, cleaning the kitchen, vacuuming the house all in his wheelchair with the help of Mr.Tong. Can't keep a good man down. Still can't drive though...so errand help is accepted.

Marty's boo-boo

Marty, Simona and I are looking at the the clean work that the doctor did! wow, what a clean line! I would give it five stars! there is no break in the continuity or anything. Hopefully that means smooth movement to come!

The Olsons

Started physical therapy at Jeremys doctors location. Really cool office and fun doctor! This should be fun as long as I survive the pain he is dishing out. Jeremy brought his camera along to show that the PRG Lead Gorilla is not so tough anymore. Thanks Jeremy! I was able to lift my leg 4" off of the floor. It was a total accomplishment for me. But of course the doctor wanted 99 more reps......damn! Jeremy and Amber practically carried me out on a stretcher after that first visit. Bring on the pain!!! I should be back to 5.12 by friday at this rate!!! The doctors keep saying 3 months but I am trying my best to beat that time.

All is awesome! Rock on! Marty

We finally got the disc with Marty's x-rays so here are a couple views. Wow!! He's got some hardward in there!!

hip
hip 2
leg

Paul Davidson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 607

True Value Hardware, wow !

HOly Cow! I was there, and i never imagined it would look like that. Marty have you thouht about being the new maskot for fixe or ushba or any other hardware company? They think they've got pins!?!?!

You rock man, keep up the good work!

That's what 6 hours of reconstructive surgery can do for you!!

Stephen S. · · tempe · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 0

Nice aid rack! Curious why the balls of steel didn't show up in the x-ray though! Get well.

Dief · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 0

I call dibs on Marty's leg when he bites the dust (hopefully not for a long time). With all that metal I should be able to forge up something really nice.

Dief the Blacksmith

Tony Davis · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 155

Glad that you are healing Marty and it is great that you have such a good network of friends here at Mountain Project, I don't know you but just finished reading about your accident and wanted to wish you well in your recovery.

Leavittator · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 161

I have hundreds of pounds of old Climbing, Mountain, and Rock and Ice Magazines to donate to the Marty Karabin museum - enough to fill an ordinary car trunk. It is not cost effective to try and ship these to Marty. If anyone is driving from the San Diego, Ca. (Escondido) to Phoenix (or nearby) between now and early October, I know Marty would appreciate all of those magazines. After all, he needs something to do as he heals. Send me a message if you think we can figure out a way to get these magazines from my house to Marty's.

Randy Leavitt

CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 956

Sounds like a worthy cause and a good drive. Might have to check my schedule.

MC

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Marty Karabin accident, Etc."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started