Mountain Project Logo

New application for creating route guides.

Original Post
Alma Madsen · · Maple Valley, WA · Joined May 2009 · Points: 50

I have been working on a computer program to help create route guides from photos taken at climbing locations. Currently it is in the beta phase, and anyone willing to help test it out would be greatly appreciated. The program works much like a simplified photo editing program but with tools specifically designed for creating route guides.

The application and more info can be found at: sites.google.com/site/mount…

It's both PC and Mac compatible. Any comments or questions can be posted here or sent to betacreator@gmail.com

Edit: New host page here: sites.google.com/site/betac…

Eric J · · Western Slope, CO · Joined May 2005 · Points: 0

Very impressive!

Tyson Anderson · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2007 · Points: 126

Nice!

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

That's incredibly cool! BUMP!!!

(PS, we should go climbing sometime)

Alex Dean · · Idaho Falls, ID · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 75

Sweet and user friendly too!

Mike Dudley · · Vegas · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 155

Ill check it out tonight after work!

Luke Stefurak · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 2,573

You should add a function to put in circles with numbers inside for belays on multi-pitch routes and blank circles for false/alternate belays.

Also a symbol for a piton would be nice as well as a circle with an arrow pointing down signifying a rap station.

Lastly an undo function would be a plus...

Cheers,

Luke

Version 1.1 (7/17/09)
- Added Piton Tool
- Added Rap/Belay Tool
- Added Loading Screen
- Fixed bug with tool cursor over toolbar

BTW, the program has an auto update feature built in, and as long as you are connected to the internet it will check for the latest version when you start it.

Version 1.2 (7/27/09)
- Added command to change all items to selected color (under edit menu)
- Added command to change all items to selected size (under edit menu)
- Fixed bug that didn't allow jpg quality to be changed
- Fixed bug that didn't allow image adjustment values to be manually entered
- Fixed bug with clearing data layer when loading one from file
- Fixed letters being cut off in the bottom status bar (Win)
- Fixed the instruction sheet so "Keyboard Shortcuts" is visible (Win)
- Application launches centered on screen

Joseph Crotty · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 1,903

Alma,

Nice work. Just gave it a whirl. Few suggestions:

1. Tooltips for the toolbar - a must.
2. Undo tool of some sort ...
3. The final image product post save seems really "compressed". Lots of data loss. Is this just the shoe you have to wear due to the SDK or is there another reason.

Joseph P. Crotty wrote:1. Tooltips for the toolbar - a must.
Can you expand on what you are looking for here?

Joseph P. Crotty wrote:2. Undo tool of some sort...
I'm working on this...It's proving to be quite a beast, but I'm sure I'll have it worked out in the next little while.

Joseph P. Crotty wrote:3. The final image product post save seems really "compressed". Lots of data loss...
The higher the size and quality of the image you load into the program, the better your end results will look. Generally I don't experience much visual quality loss with the jpg quality set to 80 and the size set to 100% (the defaults). You can try setting the jpg quality higher as well.
Joseph Crotty · · Carbondale, CO · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 1,903
Tooltip - basically, if I hover over the select tool a small pop up box should say 'Select Tool'. Or the piton tool then it says in the small box 'Piton Tool'. ScreenTips, Tooltips, whatever you want to call them name the tool their mouse is currently over.

Thanks Joseph. I do have something similar in the status bar at the bottom, but I suppose it is much easier to read when it's next to your mouse. I'll certainly implement tooltips in the next release.

verticon · · Europe · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 25

Hi, I've been using your program since version 1.0 and it's really useful: the best tool for the job.
One thing I'd like it to have is a "Close" button. For now, if I want to open another picture, I have to restart the program.
Also, it might be useful to be able to enter a two digit number or letters in the circle for the belay tool. I mean that the belay tool could be just a circle and the user would have to enter his own numbers or letters instead of the actual 1-9 fixed values.

Thank you for this gem,

Laurentiu

Jeffrey LeCours · · New Hampshire · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 1,381

Nice work. Looks like a fun project to code :]

Jeff Welch · · Dolores, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 282

Rad. Excellent work.

Drew Gibson · · Frisco, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 15

Looks great, we use a similar system for logging our snow safety routes. Nice work!

First of all, thanks for the feedback from everyone. I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't had time to work on an update, but the feature list is expanding little by little.

verticon wrote:One thing I'd like it to have is a "Close" button.
Thanks for pointing this out. After thinking about it, I will most likely implement a "new" command that will basically clear everything or reset it like when you first launch the program.

verticon wrote:Also, it might be useful to be able to enter a two digit number or letters in the circle for the belay tool.
This one will take a bit more work... As a temporary solution (and you may already be doing this) you can place the empty circles where you want them, and go back at the end with a smaller type tool and place the custom label in the rings.
Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

Hey this is pretty cool! I just used this program to make a topo for "The Barb" on the Spearhead in RMNP. The program was very intuitive and it only took a few minutes to do the whole thing. Thanks Alma.

mountainproject.com/v/color…

verticon · · Europe · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 25
Alma Madsen wrote:This one will take a bit more work... As a temporary solution (and you may already be doing this) you can place the empty circles where you want them, and go back at the end with a smaller type tool and place the custom label in the rings.
You're right, I thought I could type a digit inside the empty circle, but I've just noticed that pressing the "n" key doesn't input a digit, but in fact activates the "n-th belay" tool. Doesn't matter, the text tool will do the job indeed.
Thank you for your work.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "New application for creating route guides."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started