Mountain Project Logo

Rock Jumping

Original Post
Tim C · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 215

Tired of the same old Rock 'Climbing'. Time for a more extreme sport like Rock Jumping!
nytimes.com/2008/07/11/spor…

MattWallace · · Center Harbor, NH · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 8,752

as cool as this sounds for the safety of people in the climbing community i hope it doesnt take off..

Make sure to check out the video in there too.

Joseph Stover · · Batesville, AR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 690

"Broken ribs and damaged spines are fairly common" - Probably not the sport for me!

TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

I saw a cool film at the Denver Film Festival a several years ago called "JUMP". It was prety entertaining. I'm not sure where you can view it or rent it but it is Allen Hill's movie so I bet he could tell you. I wonder if that cute, old couple are still around. Anyone else see it?

Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410
P and Z fall 08

Here they are Tracy. We had just finished a fine afternoon of granite climbing in the Jirzke Mountains just north of their town in Oct. I see them most every summer/fall. He just turned 71 and is still climbing hard and I mean hard. She as well.

We need to do a Mt. Project/ Denver screening of "Jump!" one of these days. The NYT's writer lifted most all her material from the film. With no mention I might add. I was pissed.
Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

I've got almost 400 BASE jumps and 900 Skydives...........THAT IS INSANE!!!!! No way, EVER!

TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

Cool Allen! I was pretty new to climbing when I saw Jump. That movie opened my eyes to ethics in other regions for sure. I never heard of people using knots as passive pro until I saw it. A screening would be great. I'd love to see it again and I think a lot of people on this site would enjoy it.

Thats quite the Base jump record, Hank.

And I'm down for seeing that Jump movie some time.

Mike Pharris · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 125

I think this concept was written up in Alpinist last summer - and was featured in "The Sharp End" ( or some other film that came out last summer).

I'd love to get a screening of Allen's film!

Let's do a showing then! There's been talk of a Jump! party up at Zokas for sometime. That could be fun. Or for extra Czechness we could show it at Sobo 151. It's certainly become one of those films everyone talks about but nobody has ever seen. Anyhow the pictures in the article all came from me and my photographer and are either in the film or were taken during the production. So you can kinda get an idea about the absolute madness involved. Thanks for bring it up Tracy.

It'll only be a party if you and Vladimir come together!

Peter Vladimir
and bring this guy
Wildbasin trailhead

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Rock Jumping"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.