Mountain Project Logo

Durango Recommends?

Original Post
Stymingersfink · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,035

Work has me headed to Durango... any climbs <5.11 sport or trad which shouldn't be missed?

Jesse Morehouse · · CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 1,975

East Animas for trad, Golf Wall for sport. Both are covered in the local guide, Durango Sandstone available at any of the climbing shops.

Indian Creek is a few hrs away as are Penitente and Ophir to name a few. Those work on weekends.

Have fun!

Matt Pickren · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2005 · Points: 769

X-rock definately should not be missed!! There is 1 awesome sport route called Gold Wall. The guide book calls it 5.10. I projected it for like 3 months, so its got to be like 5.10+. The North Face of the X-rock formation is similar to the Eiger. A must do classic!

Also the crack climbing in D-town is great. Miller Middle school puts the creek to shame. And, the creek aint worth the 2 hour drive.

Durango RULES!!

Jesse Zacher · · Grand Junction, Co · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 4,205

Matt has the right of it! Fort Lewis's climbing wall has the best splitter around! Gold Wall is at least 5.11 +/- dont cheat yourself matt.

Bill Grasse · · Grand Junction, CO. · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 785

You may have a hard time finding Durango Sandstone (the local guide book) right now. The author is currently updating it. The new version should be coming soon though.

Jaaron Mankins · · Durango, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 930

The Green Mile at Vallecito. Destined to become a classic.

Cpt. E · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 95

Hello stymingers, the durango area is pretty sweet. the valacito area is seeing some pretty cool longer-route development. J-MAN mentioned The Green Mile (5.11+, 4 pitches)- its kind of hard to find but a fantastic outing.

look me up for some before or after work climbin'!

Thanks for the replies... I was down there over labor day weekend and stopped into the chop in Durango. I discovered first hand the shortage of guide books for the area, but regardless got a good recommend from the gal behind the counter to hit East A. I'll have to see if my local shop has a copy on the shelf before i head down there again.

East A though... now THAT'S some quality stone... We got to hit a route or two before someone's stomach started cryin' for a change of pace, but I'll be back to check out some more of that for sure in the near future.

Noticed the drip coming off the wall there... does that thing form up in the winter?

The thing about the Creek is, I had to drive by it to get to D-town, and had to drive by it again to get home, so we stopped in.

Got in late, hung the porta-ledges off the sides the truck and started gettin some shut-eye.

Till the clouds opened up about 4a.m. and started dumping rain. :( Moved the shebang to the front seats of the truck and bagged climbing there, opting to get a couple lines in on Wall Street on the drive home.

Turned out to be a decent trip all in all... a lot of driving, a little climbing, but hey... at least I wasn't paying for gas! ;)

force1recon2 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 0

anyone know anything about a bouldering ares on animas mtn called sailing hawks?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Durango Recommends?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started