Mountain Project Logo

Base jump off the Diamond 7/28/08

SAL · · broomdigiddy · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 790
Marc Horan wrote: Funny...I don't remember you saying that. I just remember some "inexplicable" sarcasm. BASE jumpers causing anarchy. Interesting argument. --Marc
Its not causing anarchy its causing inconveince to those who choose to obey the laws. and also raising issues about the cirque.

Good God. I thought we all graduated high school and got over the F authority issues.
Apparantly not.

I hope i find a stashed parachute this weekend.
Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 405
SAL wrote: how about kicking rocks off the top on someones head???
I hope you would be careful when you top out, people may be climbing below you

SAL wrote: It has not yet. But it just may some day
give me a ring on that day and I will donate, write letters and meet with officials

SAL wrote:You dont give a shit about future access cuase its the jump now that matters.
I fight for my access to climb and accept that I will not have access to jump, they are different

SAL wrote: are we going to allow stashed pads to be ok now
stashed pads have a direct environmental impact
jumping has zero environmental impact

SAL wrote: Ghost do you even live here?
where? in Zion, where your avatar is? Yes.

SAL wrote:I hope i find a stashed parachute this weekend
I doubt it. That comment was just from a Park Ranger hypothesizing on why they didn't catch the jumper

Congrats on being a BASE jumper.
We have your side and your point.
Thanks!
See you in the holy land!

Out of curiosity. How many jumps do you have off of moonlight??

Jeff Barnow · · Boulder Co · Joined Aug 2005 · Points: 90

Climbing the diamond used to be illegal because it was perceived as too dangerous. The rangers were going "ape shit" back then about climbing now they're freaking about this.

Why would a BASE jumper not be allowed to use one of the few resources like this? Fear? I think unjust laws are laws to be broken...this invokes change and people need to lash out to get unreasonable politics back in line.

It's not like a pad stasher because there is no liter or really impact to the resource.

Jeff Barnow wrote:It's not like a pad stasher because there is no liter or really impact to the resource.

you are right. its not.
Its just a rule.
A rule that i guess should get bent and broken. No matter which direction it goes.

Maybe taking proper steps to obtain legalization rather then saying screw it would help?

How many climbers poached routes on the diamond when it was illegaL???
YDPL8S · · Santa Monica, Ca. · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 540

Do you know that the crime rate goes up when there are endless days of unrelenting heat? I'd say that's happening on at least 3 of the threads here. I know I've been cut-off and honked at a lot more on my drive home lately. "Hot town summer in the city, back of my neck gettin dirty and gritty"

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
SAL wrote: How many climbers poached routes on the diamond when it was illegaL???
none - they couldn't do it without a big wall time commitment. So, they had no choice but to get a team in support & work with the NPS.

(Anyone not associated --- guess who the support team was for the Diamond FA and get a free 1 yr CORSAR Card. If you have one already, for your next cycle is okay with me).
Mark Nelson wrote: none - they couldn't do it without a big wall time commitment. So, they had no choice but to get a team in support & work with the NPS. (Anyone not associated --- guess who the support team was for the Diamond FA and get a free 1 yr CORSAR Card. If you have one already, for your next cycle is okay with me).
alpine rescue team???
Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265
SAL wrote:Its not causing anarchy its causing inconveince to those who choose to obey the laws.
Laws cause inconvenience to those that obey the laws. Think about it.

If a ranger stops you on your way out of the park with some questions, all you have to say is, "Am I being detained?"

If s/he says "yes," then they most likely have probable cause that you have done something wrong. I have suggestions, but what you do from then on is up to you.

If s/he says "no," then you are free to be on your way. You do not have to answer any questions. It's only an "inconvenience" if you want to stop and answer their questions. Then it's not really an inconvenience, because you are trying to help the rangers.

SAL wrote: and also raising issues about the cirque.
What kind of questions? Questions regarding climbing? The legality of climbing? I still see no connections between BASE jumping and climbing other than we share some of the same structures--and very limited number at any rate. You might as well correlate those that hike Long's Peak to those that climb the Diamond; there's very little connection in my mind. [paragraph edited by the author]

I do not think that BASE jumpers negatively affect you, SAL, as a climber in any way, shape or form.

SAL wrote:Good God. I thought we all graduated high school and got over the F authority issues. Apparantly not.
My only response to this condescending comment is:

Ben Franklin wrote:"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."
It appears at though we generally agree on a lot of the issues raised on MP.com, SAL. I think we disagree here though.

--Marc

Fair enough Marc.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."

Question yes. COntinuously defy ? Not so much in my book.

SAL wrote:Fair enough Marc.
Well that's no fun. :)

--Marc
Marc Horan wrote: Well that's no fun. :) --Marc
Too many BASE heads to contend with :)
Plus im not much for hour long debates.
I get bored.
I'd rather tell eachother to F off then hit the pub.
See ya there!
Mark Nelson wrote: none - they couldn't do it without a big wall time commitment. So, they had no choice but to get a team in support & work with the NPS. (Anyone not associated --- guess who the support team was for the Diamond FA and get a free 1 yr CORSAR Card. If you have one already, for your next cycle is okay with me).
and the answer is????
SAL wrote:"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." Question yes. COntinuously defy ? Not so much in my book.
Good point. I hadn't considered there was a difference.

--Marc

Edit:

SAL wrote:Too many BASE heads to contend with :)
For the record, I'm not a BASE jumper; I'm just an apologizer and sympathizer at this point.
Marc Horan wrote: Good point. I hadn't considered there was a difference. --Marc
Reminds me of an old favorite Pennywise song.

:-)
J. Thompson · · denver, co · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,425
SAL wrote: I am sorry but you are retarded!!!! /
No Worries Sal....
Because I'm SORRY but I think you are a pansy and a hack...so I don't value your opinion anyway.

From your post's it appears as though you'd like to see the jumper get arrested, ticketed, hauled into court etc.
I just don't understand why you'd want to be that person.

josh
chris thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 100

josh, get back on your freaking vespa, and take off, fruitcake.

J. Thompson wrote: From your post's it appears as though you'd like to see the jumper get arrested, ticketed, hauled into court etc. josh
yup.
thats what i said.

I even called the cops already and told them about your DL conspiring. Your one of them now.

Me.
im still a panzy and a hack.
HA!.

We should salsa dance sometime. I think you'd make a pretty partner!
chris thompson wrote:josh, get back on your freaking vespa, and take off, fruitcake.
Good game buddy......let's go climbing, preferably something cold so we can snuggle.

josh
SAL wrote: . yup. thats what i said. I even called the cops already and told them about your DL conspiring. Your one of them now. Me. im still a panzy and a hack. HA!. We should salsa dance sometime. I think you'd make a pretty partner!
Couple of things...the Cops are on my side, always, trust me on this.

Also don't forget it's *you'RE*....my grammar is typically so bad I just love it when I get to correct someone else!

Oh and I don't dance....but you do have a pretty mouth, so I MIGHT make an exception.

I'm glad to see that you can take a joke, and dish it back.

cheers,

josh
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Base jump off the Diamond 7/28/08"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started