Mountain Project Logo

Climbing Near NM/CO Border

Original Post
TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

I'm heading down to NM this weekend and I'm looking to do some climbing around the CO/NM border. I've heard of a place called Red River but I can't seem to find any beta. I don't need route specific info, more just info on how to get there, grade range and style (trad/sport). I just want enough to entertain me until mid afternoon. I'm heading up Wheeler Peak at night so an area not too far from that would be great! If there is any other area close to the border, please let me know. Thanks!

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295

The Red River area is listed on Mtn Project under NM, though there aren't any routes listed. I've never climbed there though. I believe its a lower-quality roadside crag. Its included in the "Taos Rock" guide published by Sharpend books.

There's a lot of basalt in the Taos area, but its gonna be hot as hell this weekend, so basalt is probably out. Tres Piedras is sort of in that area offering granite-like slab and crack climbing. If you're up for an adventure I would suggest Questa Dome which is maybe 20-30 miles north of Taos. Its a 4-5 pitch tall granite dome ala the S Platte. Easiest lines are around 5.10+/11- I believe.

Monomaniac · · Morrison, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 17,295

Red River beta is here

Mike Lane · · AnCapistan · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 880

Tracy - I started a short-lived thread awhile ago asking what climbing may be around Pagosa Springs. There might be something around Vallecito Lake: mountainproject.com/v/color…

kirra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 530

additional beta from 'Taos Rock':

..."At northwest corner of the courts, across the stream, you will find some small boulders on the trail. Follow faint talus trail above boulders to base of climbs. To set up TR's continue north on lower trail for another 60 yds. There will be a faint trail leading to back of cliffs. There are chain anchors on top of cliff to rap over to toprope anchors. Approaches are steep & loose but short"...

Red River has food, free camping in Natnl.Forest, gas & pay-shower.

Have fun..!

Jaaron Mankins · · Durango, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 930

Tres Piedras would be a great day or half day of climbing. I was just there last weekend-cool chickenheads. The temperatures were o.k. for climbing here last weekend. Also, there is some sport climbing in the Florida River Gorge-(Lemon Res.), and some sport and trad at Vallecito Lake area.

TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

Thanks guys! Oh yeah, free camping!

Kirra. . .next time you come with, capiche? :-)

kirra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 530

bueno chica...!

Jeff G · · Colorado · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,098

Tres Piedres is great. Check out the Falcon NM guide book for beta. Very scenic with great one pitch bolted and trad lines.

Malcolm Daly · · Hailey, ID · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 380

If you want to go on an adventure there are some killer looking crags west of Cimarron and Philmont, just as the road starts it's climb up to Eagle Nest. Don't know anything about them but it looks like great climbing on steep granite/basalt (or whatever) Remember, it's an adventure.

Full TR expected.
Mal

Randall Gann · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 25

Tres Piedras is probably your best bet if your headed to Wheeler, it's only about 40 miles away from the trailhead. The camping there is TROPHY and free and the crag is a very short walk from camp. But do your self a favor...skip the Falcon guide and buy Jay Foley's "Taos Rock."

KevinCO · · Loveland, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

What about El Rito (route info here at Mountain Project)? It's sport climbing on steep cobblestones set in a conglomerate. Camping is good except for occasional cattle.

Camster (Rhymes with Hamster) · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 2,027

My wife Ann and I lived in Angel Fire for a year and we did a fair number of routes in Cimarron Canyon. Buckets to do there......

YDPL8S · · Santa Monica, Ca. · Joined Aug 2003 · Points: 540

If you go there in the summer time, 95% of the license plates will be from texas, so bring your cowboy hat and have your y'alls up to snuff.

Kevin McLaughlin · · Colorado Springs · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 1,540

What part of the border are you speaking about ? Going down I-25 just into N.M. is a sweet spot called Sugarite Canyon State Park . Well worth the stop . Just N.E. of Raton.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Climbing Near NM/CO Border"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started