Mountain Project Logo

New to Mt Lemmon and climbing - visiting end of March 2008

Original Post
Schultz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

My son and I will are new rock climbers, (he has lead some shorter sport 5.5 - 5.7 routes). We are looking for some for single pitch sport 5.5 - 5.8(?) routes in the Mt Lemmon area. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Scott and Todd

Jon Ruland · · Tucson, AZ · Joined May 2007 · Points: 646

seems like the gumby wall would be perfect but it might be too cold this time of year.

Schultz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

thanks much for the help!
Scott and Todd

Joseph Stover · · Batesville, AR · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 690

The Alcatraz wall routes may be of questionable quality, but doable.

The "Towers" area at munchkinland is a great bet for high quality 5.4-5.9, not sure how cold it will be this month though, maybe aggreable. Munchkinland has a nice hike in. The lake parking may be closed though, so you will have to walk on the road, or go to the "secret" parking, I think directions are in SQII and on this website.

The practice wall at Windy point has plenty of top ropes in that range as I understand.

I actually found the 5.7-5.8 boot hill routes next to the green monster crack to be quite fun for the grade, you can definitely make a day there, one again, not too sure about the weather, but it may be really nice. That would probably be my vote if you can lead solid 5.7/8. The hike in is a bit steep.

I found the rivendale routes to be a bit stiff for 5.8/9, but that's just the kind of climbing I am not good at. If you like, slightly low angle thin face in that range, you will love rivendale. It has a really nice setting with the sandy base. The hike in can be tricky; take you time to find the trail early on and you should be fine. With all the snow-melt, there may be some water at the base though.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "New to Mt Lemmon and climbing - visiting end of…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started