Mountain Project Logo

Short, easy topropes in Phx. or Mt. Lemmon

Original Post
JmH · · Arizona · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 5

Anybody know of any places with decent access to 50' or less 5.0 to 5.5 topropes in either Phoenix area, Mt. Lemon or in between? Thanks!

Jon Ruland · · Tucson, AZ · Joined May 2007 · Points: 646

check out the practice wall at windy point about halfway up catalina highway. you'll find anchors at the edge of the cliff just below the lookout point, 30 yards from the sidewalk. you'll find 3-4 climbs in the 5.3-5.5 difficulty range.

Thanks John, that is a good spot allright, especially the approach!

yeah, it's hard to beat 30-second approaches (just spent 90 minutes bushwacking to and from a climb today). =)

I saw from an earlier post on another thread that you were new to the area. It sounds like you found some climbing partners. My 9 yr. old and I spent about that long "bushwacking" up and down a drainage trying to find an area called Bear Slabs across the Hwy and a litlle further up from Green Slabs. I don't think we found it though and I think the preferred approach route is from above. The "book" says there are alot of topropes and it is where alot of beginners go.

I live in Mesa but get down there twice a month or so. I'm checking the stuff out up here next weekend probably go out to Pinnacle Peak area and/or McDowell Montains. I'm not sure about the access out there since the guidebokk was written 10 years ago and development is going crazy. Thanks for your thoughts and I hope you have many excellent climbing days ahead!

yeah apparently there are over 2,000 routes on mount lemmon so without a doubt there's something for everyone. i'm just glad i managed to find a job in a city so close to all this great climbing!

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
JmH wrote:Anybody know of any places with decent access to 50' or less 5.0 to 5.5 topropes in either Phoenix area, Mt. Lemon or in between? Thanks!
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/arizona/camelback_mountain/the_headwall/105805832

Oh yeah...thanks Brian

Pete Hickman · · Washington, DC · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 485

The thing about the headwall at Camelback is that you still have to lead something to get up to where you could set up a top rope. Even the "class three" route seems a little sketchy to me without a rope, though I've never done it. There is at least one big boulder on the way up the trail that has anchors on top, which you could just scramble up the backside.

kirra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 530

Teddy Bear Wall in So. Mountain, Phx.

Not sure if it's cool enough right now as it's south facing. Seems a good place for beginners or to have an easy day. I have a topo.pdf somewhere - send a pm if you would like a copy. Routes were put up few years back by the AMC. Have fun..!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Short, easy topropes in Phx. or Mt. Lemmon"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started