Mountain Project Logo

Stashed Crash Pads in RMNP

SAL · · broomdigiddy · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 790

Dang Wade,
You sure do have a saturday night fight club lining up. You seem well liked around this here community. Maybe it has somthing to do with your ethics? Or maybe just the sheer fact that your a flaming poser! Get real and go yank your own stashies if you want to prove your a man.

TresSki Roach · · Santa Fe, NM · Joined May 2002 · Points: 605

I'll steal you pads and then kick all of your asses.

Seth Murphy · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2003 · Points: 195
Tracy Roach wrote:I'll steal you pads and then kick all of your asses.
only if you promise tracy.
Daniel Crescenzo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 25

I'm puttin, my money on the lady.

Wade wrote:just for future reference small guys are faster than bigger guys. That is not stating that I will Win, So by asking me to take my best shot would not be smart fighting
Alright Wade, If you see me you can take the pad, but if you walk back uphill with it I will drag it out with your disillusioned ass attached to it. I too fear you now and would not want to unleash your wrath. I am sorry Wade, please don't beat me up.
B. Cochran · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2007 · Points: 15

Wow. I have been climbing for nearly 20 years, and until I discovered MP while looking online for climbing crags for my brother that moved to Connecticut last year, I had no idea that there were forums like this for climbers. This does not disturb me.

What disturbs me is that in 20 years of climbing I had no idea that there was a community of people "dedicated" to "bouldering." Don't get me wrong, I have engaged in the act countless times. However, I had no idea that there was an official rating system.

I thought that people only did it while it is raining, or when you get to the crag too late in the day to do the real route you came out to do, or your wife wants to go for a hike with your sister-in-law, and you have to babysit the kids for the day, or you just got back from Half Dome, and it is right there in the middle of Camp 4, you're feeling pretty good (even though you know that you are going to regret it), so why not piddle around on a boulder.

And the pad... Hmmm, that makes sense I guess, though I never really thought it was necessary, let alone needing MULTIPLE pads for a single climber. I thought the guy on the ground spotting could just move the pad around to a place where he could push you when you fell from so high it would be stupid to try a "Princess Bride" style catch...

Wow. I now have some respect for bouldering. I never knew that people actually found it an accomplishment to get to the top, or all the way around the side, except that it always made for a good drinking game. Other than that I was pretty sure that it was mostly kids that had over-protective moms that wouldn't buy them a rope, they didn't have enough money for anything but a pad, and even I would say it is better than nothing. "Better to have climbed 10 feet than never to have climbed at all", I say.

However, if you can't carry 10 pounds of foam for any distance (and I am talking Eco Challenge distance not just a mile or 2), the last thing you should be doing is challenging people to a fight when they are carrying 3- 10 pound pieces of foam. And please don't compare yourself to some guy that is making multiple trips, carrying multiple 40-60 pound packs to make a long ascent, those guys pack ALL of their stuff out when they are done...

And standing up for your friends? Are you in 6th grade? If you want to stand up FOR your friends, you first have to be man/(or woman) enough to stand up TO your friends. Friends don't let friends ... Be Lazy... Pollute... or Stash Pads... I have never gone climbing without a garbage bag in hand, and I have never left a crag without making it cleaner that when I got there... And all of my friends/partners have never failed to do the same.

And who brings a boombox to go climbing? Wow. If the sense of the ascent with its accompanying vistas alone isn't motivation enough to climb, then what the hell is TUPAC going to do for you?

Sorry for the rant, but this is just the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Actually I am not sorry, I love to rant.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

I vote Tracy for president, I need a good smackdown

j.jaeger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 300

just some education for traddies: boulderers now ascend lines of a height and difficulty over jagged landings that would in all likelihood have been bolted and sprayed down as the hot new sport route if it was still the 80s.

on lower terrain, when climbing exceedingly difficult moves on roofs above jagged landings, a spotter and/or a single pad will do next to nothing to protect the explosive back-flaps that happen dozens of times per session.

additionally, styles of climbing have drastically changed. whereas bouldering often climbed statically and sloth-like in the golden past, many contemporary testpieces require dynamic movement and deadpoints that nullify the efficacy of any spotter smaller than scott blunk and with skills less than a true ninja.

however, while the gymnastic advancements and high-energy style of bouldering has alone solidified my interest in the sport of climbing, the corrosion of backcountry ethics gives pause, certainly.

i'm not big or tough, but i've never had an issue with carrying the additional foam i need to push myself, nor have most of my friends. if i feel that i need a bazillion pads, i carry a bazillion pads or make sure i session with enough of my friends to accomplish the same.

i find it extremely confusing, after so many folks scrambled to retreive their pads last season when the nps 'crackdown' was about to take place, why folks have immediately reverted to stashing pads this year. I THOUGHT IT WAS DETERMINED AS UNACCEPTABLE LAST YEAR ?!

it's retarded that this is an issue this year after the park's clear stance against it was exhibited last season.

i know as many pad stashers as those vehemently against it, but based on the park's stance, the issue of who is right is very fucking clear.

no one wants to have to drag out tons of stashies and no one should actually want to get into a fight about it.

if you've stashed pads at the park or evans, go get them this weekend and this issue ends.

jonas f · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 0
B. Cochran wrote:What disturbs me is that in 20 years of climbing I had no idea that there was a community of people "dedicated" to "bouldering." Don't get me wrong, I have engaged in the act countless times. However, I had no idea that there was an official rating system.
I think the elitist sentiment that bouldering is some how inferior to other aspects of climbing, creates bad footing for the community to address this important issue. Just for argument sake, let's put it into a spectrum; if bouldering is the bottom feeder of the community, then I suppose that Twightesque style alpinism is the apogee of climbing, perhaps. Regardless of your perception of which "style" or "discipline" of climbing is superior, I think the ethic ought to be categorical. Leave your shit in the backcountry, be prepared for it to be yanked, period. Leave your I-Tent on Abruzzi Ridge, your "project" stash at the base of the Diamond, or your crash pad at upper Chaos or Mt. Evans, don't shed a tear for the gear you consciously left behind for days, weeks, months, etc. The rules are the rules, period. Remember the fixed anchor issue that periodically comes up, we don't want to open those cans of worms, but this issue directly addresses this, climbers seen as degrading the resource.

Until people, most notably our community recognizes that climbing in many of these places is a PRIVILEGE not a right, we will be the bane of land managers and private property owners. The rights of other entities (intrinsic, physical, and legal) trump our desire to climb. Now don't get me wrong, I believe in the mission to preserve and boost our access to crags. However, if we can't communicate positively about our various "styles" or "disciplines" and have a unified vision and voice with (and this is the paramount part) a POSITIVE and helpful mission then what is the point? We ought to show the public we are able and effective stewards of the resource, the first step is showing a lot of humility with lots of action afterwards.
Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145
j.jaeger wrote:... if you've stashed pads at the park or evans, go get them this weekend and this issue ends.
Holy cow, some common sense.
Mike Storeim · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Sep 2002 · Points: 30

Cochran - good rant!

Perhaps this will clear up some of your confusion.

Multiple pads are not used for actual bouldering. The are primarily used to sit on while spraying and listening to Vanilla Ice or some techno crap. In actuality, some groups of bouldering types use less pads, but research has shown that this is simply because they practice better personal hygiene and thus do not mind being closer together.

As to why to bring a boombox climbing? I have a theory that the real reason is to piss off any real climber who might be in the area in an attempt to get them to leave. This way, the protagonists can sit around on their multiple pads and continue to spray without having to actually do any climbing to back it up.

Seriously now, Wade and his pad stashing buddies are simply part of the "entitlement" generation and they don't give a crap about you, me, the rules, RMNP or the environment. They are entitled to do whatever they please, wherever they please and they are no different than the @#*%ing people who throw their cigarette butts out the car window. The world is their trashcan and playground and if you don't like it, tough. And if you try to do something about it, you might meet up with a tough guy like Wade.

Wade and Tracy in a cage match! I'd pay to see it.

Peace. See ya at the cleanup!

Seth Murphy · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2003 · Points: 195

Why is it that a discussion on PAD REMOVAL becomes an issue on what climbing style is superior to another.

I don't ask (or care) how, and what people climb. I only ask that people use L.N.T. ethics.

(For Mr. Nebraska that means Leave no trace. I figured since they obviously don't have Climbing, Rock and Ice, and Urban Climber in Omaha you may need the acronym spelled out for you. Which due to your logistical difficulties, explains your ignorance to the "V" scale, and bouldering in general, you are henceforth forgiven)

Climbing is climbing, we all love it, we all enjoy it. Most of us could never give it up. This is why it pains me so much when people abuse the backcountry. So.. climbing styles aside, be smart about climbing in the B.C., it's not our right, it's our privilege.

Lee Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 1,545

Tracy Roach for president, Mark Nelson for Vice President and Mike Storeim for Secretary of Defense.

Chip Phillips · · Broomfield, CO · Joined May 2001 · Points: 1,655

Wow indeed Mr. Cochran. Guideline #1 Mr. Cochran says don't be a jerk. Not only that, the uninformed should probably just keep their mouths shut. You've done nothing with your post except prove that you are a clueless jerk who lives in Nebraska. Do us all a favor and stay there.

Wade, you certainly haven't helped the issue. If you think it's just mp.com and Access Funders who will be hiking out pads, you are sorely mistaken.

Although I can't speak for the stashed pads at the Park, by the time the cleanup rolls around at Evans on August 25th, there will be no pads at Evans to hike out. FWIW, there are only a couple there now. I suggest the regulars at the Park get a handle on the stashed pad situation before their scheduled stashed-pad haul-out a couple weekends later. It's pretty simple.

Anyone else who participates in an us vs. them mentality on this message board during this debate is only fracturing the climbing community further. Admittedly, this is an issue that has gotten out of hand and the attention of others. Dedicated boulderers who love these places need to do a better job of policing the situation for the few who are short-sighted. I think we will.

I will be diligent in my us vs. them standpoint when it comes to some crybaby having a temper tantrum when they are told that it is time to pick their shit up off the lawn and put it back in the garage. Aside from that, I love boulderers, they are a testimonial to testicular/ovarian fortitude.

Wade wrote:Wow all you guys are trying to piss me off! I can see this now, I don't have any stashed pads anywhere, look and ye shall not find. I got them all here at my house, want a running order of them, with a photo and news paper! Ransom Style? (except the red Darth Wader pad, that got trashed in Idaho springs Dumpster). I was just in the park today and went looking for some pads to use for climbing, but there were non to be seen anywhere. Oh well guess I will have to start bringing my own, no biggie really! So by threatening me has never helped and tonight I saw one of you bashers of the Wader! on pearl street at Hapa and I did not get a single word out of Him when I sat and chatted with one of His buddies at the table, just all talk really. Have a Nice Life Dudes, I'm Out Forever! So just go back to your kill wader Jerking Fest!
Dude, referring to yourself in the third person is sooo narcissistic, you're just not that cool.
B. Cochran · · SLC, UT · Joined May 2007 · Points: 15

Wow.... Mr. Seth.

The last thing I wanted to do was project and/or promote an elitist mentality, sorry if it came across that way. My intention was to convey my own "Rocky 4" moment of "If I can change, you can change, we can all change."

I noted that I was disturbed at "my own" ignorance of the bouldering community, and then noted my new found respect for that same community, and only then went on to express my opinion on stashing 10 pounds of foam, only qualified to except persons having to make multiple trips in to bring gear that is "uncarryable" in one trip, in which I would include multiple pads if they cannot be carried in in one trip.

As for Nebraska, i am glad to be leaving it in 3 weeks to return to the mountains, after a very very long 2 years. I hope this does not put a damper on your day.

This is awesome, why don't we all get jacked up on meth and go at it West Side Story style...Bottles, chains, switchblades (anyone know where there is a truckstop on the front range?), guns if you got em. I think I have a set of brass knuckles and some throwing stars in the garage somewhere. RUMBLE!!!!!

Untwist your panties and read this
mountainproject.com/v/color…

Tea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 223

Nothing but laziness. Carry your shit in and out. Make land managers happy. If that giant maxi-pad weighs too much...maybe you need to take up a new sport, or get a smaller pad. And can someone explain to me why people wear beannies with no shirt when it's hot out?

"Fixed Pads?" oh man...that's rich.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Stashed Crash Pads in RMNP"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started