Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Evans Bouldering

Original Post
Ted Sco · · Ft. Collins · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 10

I remember a pictorial in rock and ice about bomb bouldering up by mt. evans. I searched mountain project and did some googles but i couldnt find anything that was helpful on getting to the place or what to do once you got there. So, how do you get there and then where is the bouldering? How do you think it would be this time of year?

Ted

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

The road is still closed to vehicle use from Echo Lake on up. & there is avy danger to access backcountry from Echo Lake.

I believe the bouldering is near Summit Lake area - looks like Jay has some pics. But, you could really just explore all over the area in the summer time, the Evans Wilderness has got some really good rock.

I would do the lower elevation thing right now, like Morrison, Castlewood, Flagstaff, etc (Horseshoe maybe also ok??)

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,196

Try asking on the message board at frontrangebouldering.com

d.

Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410

Park in the obvious pullout at the first of the final summit switchbacks. You can look south and it's a rolling tundra plain to Mt. Epaulet. Anyhow head west and down you go. It's steep. Abyss Lake will be to your right. There is also some good rock climbs on the buttress south of the descent. Three pitch climbs. A couple of stout hard 11's. As for the bouldering I think this is just one of 3 or 4 areas that have been very much developed over the past few years.

Allen Hill wrote:Park in the obvious pullout at the first of the final summit switchbacks. You can look south and it's a rolling tundra plain to Mt. Epaulet. Anyhow head west and down you go. It's steep. Abyss Lake will be to your right.
Is this the chute nicknamed the "bowling alley"? (not that just about every chute in the Rky Mtns couldn't also be nicknamed the same thing)

I have no idea Mark. There is a chute closer to the cliff. I've never been down it but I have come up it several times. And yes it is a bowling alley.For the boulders it is best to head down very steep tundra ledges. The descent is obvious as are the boulders. Very pretty surroundings. There's an old plane wreak down there that's a little morbid.

If you look at my photos there's a picture of me and a partner at the pullout.The top of the cliff is obvious. The gully head is right at the edge of the car door. The tundra descent is straight below the direction the car is pointed.

Here's the google map of the first 2 of the final Evans switchbacks

I think this is what we are talking about, If there wasn't so much snow, you would clearly see the chute on the second switchback. This Abyss area is an area that is notorious for getting flatlanders in trouble (aptly named I guess).

You know, not for nothing, but isn't the Black Wall really on Spalding?

Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,370

I know about most all of the bouldering at evans. I haven't yet been to the abyss area however I think I was exploring the outskirts of it near the chute that was mentioned. I have also been to areas A and B in the chicago lakes area as well as some more off the beaten path stuff @ lincoln park. drop me a line @ forum8fox@msn.com if you want some info. also I have a pic from lincoln park in my profile and I might have a shot of me on timeline at area A.

Scott Salisbury · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

Does anyone know what the conditions are like at Mt. Evans these days?

Lee Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2003 · Points: 1,545

Lots and lots of deep snow.

Ted Sco · · Ft. Collins · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 10

Just a thought that since there isn't any area on the sight (or online for that matter) highlighting the area it might be good to add one. However, I dont know anything about the area otherwise I would. Maybe someone with some climbing experience in the area would be interested in this endevor. Considering that this area had a pictorial with jason kehl and a variety of pro climbers in Rock and Ice it would seem appropriate to recognize this area.

Scott Salisbury · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 10

thats pretty much what i figured.

Jason Kaplan · · Glenwood ,Co · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 3,370

The area is pretty awsome, and there are some pictures on the internet if you know what some of the names of the problems are. Search for area A B C and D of for specific problems try the indian ladder or time line of greener grasses or public execution. The people who showed the area to me are friends of jason kehl. modump has some stuff as well as i think colorado climber of colorado bouldering or something (pics and videos). It is kinda nice if alot of people don't know about it because there are already alot of people hiking and fishing and riding horses in the area as well as alot of climbers already so if it's not on public display for a year or 2 it might keep the place nice for a while longer and some un discovered problems as well.

lucabrasi · · Denver, CO · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 140

For what it is worth, the skiing/boarding near Mt. Evans (actually more local to Mt. Goliath) has been epic all winter long! The massive front range snowstorms that caused you to dig your car out of snowdrifts in Denver have actually been a blessing for front range skiiers. Good pow in the trees. Never gone too far above treeline (don't need to).

Anyways, to answer your question: No you won't find good bouldering near Mt. Evans this time of year. Good spring skiing for at least another month. Once the road opens you'll be able to head up and scope out the bouldering conditions in late May/Early June.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Mt. Evans Bouldering"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started