Mountain Project Logo

Granite or Sandstone - Which Rocks??

Umph! · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2004 · Points: 180

I love kissin my sister. . . funny that way.
So if I like to crack climb quartzite, how does that relate to my sister? (Please don't respond, it may just be too much).

Petsfed 00 · · Snohomish, WA · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 989

I always found that for straight crack climbing, sandstone was better. Granite's the better all around trad rock though. Just more variety per climb.

d-know · · electric lady land · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 45

funny people.
always anthropomorphising.

it is you who rocks.

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

Allright Bobby D! You hate Eldo. Got it, but I gotta ask. It sounds like some sour grapes over something, ya know, more than just you don't like the place, but something a little deeper. Is it cuz you can't bolt freely there or something, or not, or what?

Tom Hanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 950

In my opinion, if we are just speaking of quality of stone, not route length, leadability, or location, the Devils Lake quartzite wins hands down. However, there are so many more considerations that need to be taken into account when looking for the perfect day at the crags. I am bias towards uncrowded, scenically pleasing environments. I don't like an area that resembles an outdoor rock gym.

George Bell · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 5,050

The thing is, either granite or sandstone can be really loose. In my opinion the rock being solid is more important than the type. Granite seems to have a reputation of being "most often solid". But it often lacks pockets and other features that can make climbing fun.

Tom Hanson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 950

George is right on here.
Examine 90% of the granite in the Splatte. It has big scaley, loose crystals (I'm talking about the 90% of the South Platte that is made up of the Pikes Peak orogeny - not the other 10% (also Pike Peak orogeny - that includes the developed stuff like Cyn Pin, Helens, Turkey, Rock, Devils Head, Thunder Ridge, etc. which are exceptions to the rule).
Granite can be absolute choss or bulletproof
Sandstone can be absolute choss or bulletproof
I am guessing that the original poster was asking which medium people preferred when it comes to good stone.
Folks will be predjudiced by what granite or sandstone is resident in their local area, if they are not well-traveled.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

Yes, take the best 10% of each type to try and compare natural lines.

No-one favors limestone??

Matt Nelson · · Pueblo West, CO · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 610

Splatte granite is the best... And yes Freemont is the shizz nizzle. But nothin compares to the Splatte. I think the Splatte must have been created for Gods personal crag...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Granite or Sandstone - Which Rocks??"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.