Mountain Project Logo

Cochise Oct 12-14

Original Post
Shawn Gibson · · San Antonio, Texas · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 20

I'm bringing my nine year old son to Cochise Oct 12-14 to climb Whats my line. Our regular partner just bailed and we are looking for a partner.

Bobby Hanson · · Spokane, WA · Joined Oct 2001 · Points: 1,230

Shawn, if you haven't climbed this route before I suggest great care. With a nine year old, I would strongly suggest roping up for the "3rd class" part of the approach (at least your son). The pendulum start can be a bit scary for some. Lastly, on the first rappel, be very careful to not let go of your ropes -- otherwise you will be stranded.

The rest should be a blast, and I imagine your son will love it.

Cheers,
Bobby

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,711
Bobby Hanson wrote:Shawn, if you haven't climbed this route before I suggest great care. With a nine year old, I would strongly suggest roping up for the "3rd class" part of the approach (at least your son). The pendulum start can be a bit scary for some. Lastly, on the first rappel, be very careful to not let go of your ropes -- otherwise you will be stranded. The rest should be a blast, and I imagine your son will love it. Cheers, Bobby
Yeah, and take care on the approach for rattlesnakes. I darn near stepped on one of the bad ones (super close call). Desert Museum folks said its one of the kind that has some neuro toxin in its venom. Wouldna been a good thing...

Sounds like a Mojave, very bad!

we found an eight foot skin in our camp!

We already went, we never found a partner, the approach is Hell! and theres rock everywhere, so we blazed a trail on our own, set up daycamp at a spring and I rope soloed six sections about 20 feet using two pieces and My son followed. He lead one easy crack placing a cam.

Will go again next year if it kills me!

Pics are here
erockonline.com/forum/uploa…

Story is here
erockonline.com/forum/uploa…

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,711
Shawn Gibson wrote:Sounds like a Mojave, very bad! we found an eight foot skin in our camp!
Wasn't a Mojave, they are relatively distintive looking (similar to Western Diamondback). Mojave's don't get anywhere near 8 feet long, methinks. Western Diamondbacks can get to 6 feet or so? I've seen one near that size in Texas. Thing was huge.

Saw a Mojave green in California. Very agressive snake.

I think the one we saw was an Arizona Speckled (Crotalus mitchelli). Had a pretty small head (not at all like a diamondback). Have some pretty good pics of it...

Anyhoo, the folks at the Museum claimed that there's been neuro toxin showing up in various strains of snakes in Cochise, not just the Mojave. Seems like I read somewhere that the speckled has twice the toxicity of a diamondback.

Glad it wasn't agressive. Really a mellow snake, especially given how close I came to stepping on it. And...how far it would have been to any type of decent hospital with anti venom.

Heres a pic of the damn thing!

mountainproject.com/v/shawn…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Cochise Oct 12-14"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.