Mountain Project Logo

Closure Policy Update for Chocise Stronghold

Original Post
John Hayes · · Bend, OR · Joined May 2006 · Points: 5

To: All Southern Arizona Climbers

Bob Kerry, Diane Vetter, and I met with AZ Fish and Game and the NFS in March and April to discuss modifying the raptor closure policy in the Chocise Stronghold. I'm happy to report that we were successful and the access restrictions will be rolled back--starting this year. Here is what was agreed to:
1) Reopening day access to the entire Stronghold area during raptor breeding season. My understanding is that there will be no setback from any of the domes. Overnight camping will not be allowed without a special permit during nesting season. (This wasn't considered a big deal even though it's hard to understand why Fish and Game insisted on this restriction. We'll work on this next year.)

2) The springtime climbing closure will be restricted to three areas; the Rockfellow group, Square Top Dome, and Cochise Dome. Raptor nesting activity will be monitored and areas reopened as early as possible once no nesting activity is confirmed. Other areas outside this group may be closed if raptor nesting activity becomes established.

I want everyone to understand that in order to negotiate on behalf of the climbing community, we had to argue that climbers have been responsible and will continue to observe the closure orders. Our ability to continue to work to get the restrictions lifted further will depend heavily on the cooperation of the climbing community. Consequently, I am asking all climbers to strictly observe the closure rules in the Chocise Stronghold so that we can negotiate in good faith next year. Originally we were told that the closure would not be modified until 2007, so we were surprised when we received the NFS notice that I've attached at the end of this post. It looks like good news since only the Rockfellow group will be affected this year.

John Hayes
Tucson, AZ

==============================================
Reference Rockfellow Dome Park (aka Cochise Stronghold) Closure, Dragoon Mountains, Coronado National Forest

As a result of dedicated, on-site monitoring by the Southern Arizona
Climbers Coalition & current monitoring results, please be advised that the Rockfellow Dome Park Closure, Coronado National Forest Special Closure Order 05-189, dated 3/18/02, has been amended as follows:

Effective May 5, 2006 through June 30, 2006, Special Closure Order 05-189, dated March 18, 2002, is hereby temporarily modified as follows:

All persons are permitted access into or through Rockfellow Dome Park,
which includes all existing rock climbing sites and/or domes (i.e. Cochise Dome aka. What's My Line Dome and Waterfall Dome) in Township 17, Range 23 East, West � Section 26 except as follows:

Being upon any part of the Rockfellow Dome Complex/Group which includes all sites/features from End Pinnacle, Chay Desa Tsay, Rockfellow Dome to Bastion Towers by rock climbing or any other means of access, is prohibited through June 30, 2006; and Access into the Rockfellow Dome Park area is permitted only during daylight hours (sunrise to sunset); No over-night camping is permitted during the closure period.

Gary Helbing
District Wildlife Staff
Douglas RD, Coronado NF

Jerry Cagle · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 1,546

Similar results might be obtained for the Summit Crags area on Mt. Lemmon IF climbers demonstrate responsible behavior by not violating the closures. I was invited recently to climb at the Ravens by one of my regular partners who had "heard" that they had been reopened. I followed up on this with a phone call to Josh Taiz who is the wildlife biologist in charge of the area, and he told me that the closures had NOT been lifted, and that he'd had reports from the fire lookout on the point that they'd observed people climbing in the closure area. Apparently the signs posting the area had "disappeared", and so people assumed (incorrectly) that the ban had been removed. This is a high profile area folks, and you owe it to yourselves and the rest of the local climbing community to stay out of these closed areas unless you have personally verified that they've been reopened. The Summit Crags are especially appealing to us when it starts to get hot down low. The current closure period ends just in time for the monsoons to hit. If we can get the closure modified perhaps these areas can be reopened during "prime time" for the area.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Closure Policy Update for Chocise Stronghold"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started