Sawyer Quarry Nature Preserve Climbing
|GPS:||41.543, -83.565 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||10,483 total · 294/month|
|Shared By:||Craig Spicer on Dec 27, 2018 · Updates|
Top rope climbing with permanent anchors on top. Make sure to bring webbing or static rope to setup anchors. Most anchor bolts are set back on top roughly 20' from cliff edge. An additional 3 sets of paired anchors are available on the South wall within 24" from edge (installed by OCC 11/6/21).
This property is owned and maintained by the Wood County Park District, with assistance from the Ohio Climbers Coalition. Please check the Sawyer Quarry Nature Preserve website page for additional information, cliff closings and conditions: http://www.wcparks.org/parks/sawyerquarry/
Sawyer Quarry Nature Preserve
26940 Lime City Road, Perrysburg
Sawyer Quarry Nature Preserve is a wonderful park property that was donated by the Sawyer family. The site is an old limestone quarry and has stairs going down into the quarry. There are artifacts, varying elevations and geological features to explore. The trail system is currently under development and upon its completion, a map and brochure will be made available.
Do NOT remove any rocks, geodes, gems, fossils or artifacts from the quarry.
Public Rappelling/Climbing Program Guidelines (for self-guided rappelling/climbing at Sawyer Quarry):
• All Rappellers and Climbers must self register. Failure to register, unsafe practices, or unsafe equipment is grounds for loss of rappelling privileges, or removal from the park. Registration available in person only at Sawyer Quarry.
• Rappellers and Climbers must be 18 years of age or older, or have a parent/guardian supervising all rappelling activities. To register a minor, complete the minor’s information in the body of the form, then parent/guardian signature at the bottom.
• All equipment used must be manufactured for the purpose of rappelling and be in original, un-altered condition. No home made or modified equipment may be used.
• Rappellers and Climbers are subject to equipment inspection and/or competency check at any time by Park District staff.
• Wood County Park District reserves the right to suspend the Public Rappelling Program at any time. Cliffs may also be temporarily closed for scheduled programs, classes, or other Park District use.
• Public rappelling and climbing is allowed only in designated areas (please see map), and only during normal park hours.
• Registering to rappel does not reserve either cliff for the rappellers sole use; any area may be in use by other members of the general public. All areas operate on a first come, first served basis.
• Rappellers and Climbers must have previous rappelling and climbing experience, and follow safe accepted practices at all times.
• All rappelling and climbing activities are done at your own risk.
Unsure of your skills? Questions about equipment, rigging, or safe accepted practices? Curious about rappelling and climbing? Please contact Program Naturalist Craig Spicer at firstname.lastname@example.org | (419)661-1697x3
See something? Say something! Please report any damage, issues, or concerns to the Wood County Park District immediately at (419)353-1897, or contact an on-duty Park Ranger at 1-877-RANGER-AID.
Public Bouldering Program Guidelines (for self-guided bouldering at Sawyer Quarry):
• The use of a bouldering pad and/or a spotter is highly recommended.
• Unsafe practices are grounds for loss of bouldering privileges, or removal from the park.
• Boulderers must be 16 years of age or older, or have a parent/guardian supervising all bouldering activities.
• Wood County Park District reserves the right to suspend the Public Bouldering Program at any time. Bouldering walls may also be temporarily closed for scheduled programs, classes, or other Park District use.
• Public bouldering is allowed only in designated areas (please see map), and only during normal park hours.
• Any area of the park may be in use by other members of the general public. All areas operate on a first come, first served basis.
• All bouldering activities are done at your own risk.
The Park is open 365 days a year from 8:00 am – 30 minutes after sunset.
26940 Lime City Road
Visit the kiosk by the parking lot for self-registration first, before accessing the cliffs.
- South Wall top is accessible from the sidewalk just west of the registration kiosk.
- North Wall is accessible by taking the trail to the east of the circle-drive house (staff offices and program space). Follow signs for quarry access, down the metal steps (slippery when wet), and walk into and across the quarry until you find a trail leading up the the top. Also accessible by taking the trail to the west of the brown house (future public space) north.
Classic Climbing Routes at Sawyer Quarry Nature Preserve
Days w Precip