Meyers Multipitch Rock Climbing
|GPS:||38.842, -120.046 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||19,034 total · 368/month|
|Shared By:||Refuge Jared on Jun 19, 2017|
|Admins:||Aron Quiter, Lurker -, Mike Morley, Adam Stackhouse, Salamanizer suchoski, Vicki Schwantes, Justin Johnsen|
About a 30 minute approach.
First approach option from rusted green gate can be a little difficult to navigate, but it's all dirt and easier uphill hiking. Other approach option is to hike to CalTrans Wall, then take a fixed line up 3rd class slab. It's steeper and more "adventurous," but a bit more direct. See beta image for 2nd approach.
**Beginning Approach at Rusted Green Gate
1) Take a hard Left immediately after the rusted green gate (almost back toward the hwy) and follow cairns uphill. Keep your eyes peeled, a few "false trails" here and there that dead end
2) After hiking uphill, hike toward two large standing dead trees above CalTrans Wall until the trail becomes more obvious and sandy
3) Follow a sandy trail until a cairn trail splits off Left between rocks
**Beginning Approach From CalTrans Wall (see beta image)
1) Alternately, you can begin at the far Left of CalTrans Wall, following a fixed line up 3rd class slab. Follow line to tree at the top
2) Follow trail along top of crag until it opens uphill to the Left
3) Go directly uphill toward a short, standing twisted dead tree. From here you will see the climbing area in the distance
4) Take a Right onto a sandy trail until a cairn trail splits off Left between rocks
3) Trend Left uphill toward the climbing area
4) Briefly follow along the base where slabs of granite meet the bushes
5) As you begin approaching a few large boulders, turn uphill again toward several larger fluffy bushes, the biggest one at the base of the crag
6) Hike between large bushes and through manzanitas to the base of the crag
7) You're there! From here you can see the start of both climbs, MU and Divided Sky. Bolts are difficult to see as they are painted and not shiny.
• MU 5.9 is to the Left and has its first bolt just above the tiny Charlie Brown xmas tree growing out of the crack
• Divided Sky 5.7 (named after the cafe that you parked and carpooled from because you're so considerate and awesome) is above the bushes to the Right, its first bolt on a shiny whiteish slab to the Right of a large D-shaped step up
• Lichen or Leave it is a 3 pitch 10c that starts a bit further to the Left of MU
Rappel is NOT available. Anchors are 2 bolts with hangers.
**Walk off options
Your decision may have be based on how much you love trusting slab after all them pitches you just did, or simply what kind of footwear you have.
1) Follow the rock face climbers right until it ends (maybe 150m?), this is the start of a gully on the backside. Descend the gully on the backside as it wraps around to the front. Longer, but a dirt hike and not as steep as option (2) (beta image available).
2) Walk off climber's Right and find your way down 3rd class slab. Slab descent can be hard to find at first; keep an eye out for cairns sitting on boulders overlooking dried up water runoff. Scramble down below the cairn boulders at first, then follow cairns closely for a more gradual and uninterrupted descent (see beta image). Note that the slab descent may be more dirty or wet from snow melt early in the season, which can make things more difficult or dangerous.
Classic Climbing Routes at Meyers Multipitch
Days w Precip