Miller Fork Recreational Preserve (MFRP) Rock Climbing
|GPS:||37.639, -83.677 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||466,358 total · 6,136/month|
|Shared By:||Matt Looby on Mar 23, 2015|
|Admins:||Shirtless Mike, saxfiend, DrRockso, Billy Simek|
Heading south on KY11 from Miguel's (or the Mountain Parkway), drive just past Koop's gas station and hang a left onto Shumaker Ridge Rd. Follow Shumaker for 3.2 miles until you see two entrances on the right - turn onto the second one which is Hell Creek Rd. There should be a wooden sign that says "MFRP" marking this road. Go down Hell Creek Rd, bearing right just before it meets the river for the first time. Drive parallel to the river for a little while until you see a large gravel parking lot on your left with a kiosk (just before the road crosses the river again). Park here - all area approaches begin from this parking lot. The parking lot GPS coordinates are 37.642204, -83.678900.
Google Maps directions from Miguel's to MFRP parking lot: goo.gl/maps/9KQWi
And a trails map showing the approaches to the various walls.
The guidebook can be purchased online or at Miguel's as well.
Waiver and Rules
* As of June 2018, there is no overnight parking allowed on any Coalition properties (PMRP, BRRP, MFRP). Primitive camping is still allowed,
just as long as you do not park a car there (i.e. dropped off or hike in).
* Do not park next to oil wells. Do not block oil wells or oil workers’ trucks.
* Please climb responsibly and follow “Leave No Trace” practices. Please remove all refuse and bury human waste.
* All dogs must be leashed or under control of their owners.
* Stay off all tagged projects and do not touch or use any project ropes, draws, or other gear.
* Hike on established trails and do not mark or damage trees or other vegetation. Approval by the RRGCC is required prior to the establishment of any new crags or trails.
* No hunting, trapping, digging for archaeological artifacts is permitted.
* No operation of motorized vehicles off established roads is permitted.
* No open fires are permitted due to the oil extraction activity in the area and the enormous threat a forest fire in a region of
numerous oil wells would pose.
Classic Climbing Routes at Miller Fork Recreational Preserve (MFRP)
Days w Precip