Wat Tham Pla Rock Climbing
|GPS:||20.327, 99.864 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||2,986 total · 66/month|
|Shared By:||Devin Welch on May 29, 2014|
|Admins:||Brian Boyd, Nate Ball|
Getting weather forecast...
DescriptionWat Tham Pla is a beautiful crag situated about 50km north from Chiang Rai City. With no other competition in the area, this is the best rock climbing (sport climbing) in all of Chiang Rai Province. Also known locally as the monkey temple, it is not solely a destination for rock climbing. Other attractions include caving, fish, monkeys, crocodiles, temples, swimming and paddle-boating.
There are three distinct climbing areas at Wat Tham Pla: Monkey Wall, Main Wall and Reservoir Wall. These are listed right to left starting closest to the temple grounds. Access is very easy with the exception of the island portion of Monkey Wall, which requires a safe and simple traverse over the water.
Getting ThereGPS Coordinates: 20.327500, 99.863778
From Chiang Rai City
- Leave the city heading North on Highway 1
- Pass the first police checkpoint heading to Mae Chan
- Make sure to stay on Highway 1 (right side) at the junction for 1089
- Turn Left at the second police checkpoint
- Turn right at the sign for the Fish Cave (just past Mae Sai Vocational College)
- Take the first Left on the main street
- This street ends in the parking lot for the temple. Park here and walk left along the water to the crag!
Days w Precip
Prime Climbing Season