South Canyon Rock Climbing
|GPS:||48.64, -119.447 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||31,562 total · 379/month|
|Shared By:||applewood on Jan 17, 2014|
|Admins:||Scott Coldiron, Jon Nelson, Micah Klesick, Z Winters|
1) Upper West Side - Gully Wall - 7 sport and mixed routes (5.3 to 5.8)
2) Upper West Side - 19 sport, mixed and trad routes (5.3 to 5.11a)
3) The Mid West - Lower (FZ) Wall - 16 sport, mixed and trad climbs (5.4 to 5.11b)
4) The Mid West - North End - 4 sport, mixed and trad routes (5.8 to 10b)
5) The Mid West - Middle Wall - 9 sport, mixed and trad routes (5.7 to 10c)
6) The Mid West - Lower Middle Wall - 3 sport routes (5.6 to 5.7+)
7) The Mid West - South End - Large area south of the lower cliff line, so far undeveloped.
8) Lower West Side - 8 sport routes (5.9 to 5.11c)
Generally this is a large, high quality, somewhat remote area with nice views, easy access and mostly great rock. There are reports of some of the cracks and even faces being climbed previously as gear routes, but there is no beta available publicly online about this. * It would be nice if these lines stay trad, so be aware if doing route development not to place bolts where trad gear will do.
When to climb;
Despite what MP indicates with their climbing season chart (below) the best seasons to climb at MC are when the snakes are hibernating - which is usually from late October to early April (a good indication is when there is snow visible on the Pasayten Mtns to the west). Depending on the weather conditions rock climbing may be possible any of these winter months, but it's usually perfect by late February or early March. Climbing is also good the rest of the year and can be very hot in the summer, but early mornings are often tolerable.
Classic Climbing Routes at South Canyon
Days w Precip