Mont Rigaud Rock Climbing
|GPS:||45.468, -74.34 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||100,046 total · 763/month|
|Shared By:||rocknice2 on Sep 8, 2010 · Updates|
Mont Rigaud is a high quality pink granite cliff which contains over 70 bolted sport routes. Climbs are between 5.2-5.13, with a healthy dose in the 5.6-5.12 range. Heights are typically 10-15 meters.
Sun comes around late morning to early afternoon and there are enough scattered trees which provide shade in the summer months.
Weekdays you'll find climbers coming after work for an evening workout, weekends on the other hand can get crowded on the easy to moderate routes. The base is clean of brush and there is plenty of room along the the entire length of the cliff to belay climbers, lay down your equipment and to gather and talk. Climbers bringing children and or dogs are not uncommon.
- All of the Rigaud crags are on private property. While not all are specifically on Mont Rigaud's property, the only authorized approach is via the ski hill. Please do not access the crags via neighbouring properties (private residences/monastery).
- Opening hours are 9am - 7pm from May 1st - Oct 1st. In response to customer requests, Mont Rigaud is experimenting with a later close this summer(2020). Hours will be 9am - 8pm until the end of August. Depending on weather trends each year, access is often possible from 9am - 4pm much later into the Fall. The parking lot gates are locked at close. Access is prohibited outside of opening hours and at all times once the ski hill is operational for the winter season.
- Access fees apply - $5/per person. This gives access to the property, parking, etc, and goes into maintaining approaches, washroom facilities (in non-COVID times), cleaning up trash, etc. Season passes are also available. Cash (even exact change) is not accepted right now due to Covid.
- Parking is prohibited on Rte 325 (ch. des Érables and ch. de la Montagne) as well as past the stop on ch. du Petit-Brûlé. Fines for parking on a numbered highway are high.
- Volunteer setters, working through the FQME, are responsible for opening routes, checking fixed gear, etc. If you see them, be sure to thank them for their great work. Remember, you and only you are ultimately responsible for your safety. If you notice something that concerns you, we definitely want to hear about it, but may not be in a position to correct it immediately.
- Camping and fires of any kind are not permitted. Climbers interested in camping could check out Camping Choisy (family-oriented campground in Rigaud) or Parc Voyageur (Ontario provincial park about 15km west of Rigaud with more rustic sites and beaches).
Le Mont Rigaud est une falaise de granite rose de haute qualité qui contient plus de 70 voies d’escalade sportive. Les cotes sont entre 5.2 et 5.13 mais majoritairement comprise entre 5.6 et 5.12. La hauteur est généralement de 10 à 15 mètres.
L’orientation permet d’avoir du soleil de la fin de la matinée au début de l'après-midi selon l’orientation du secteur et il y a suffisamment d'arbres pour fournir de l'ombre pendant les mois d'été.
L’achalandage est aussi bien en fin de journée la semaine que la fin de semaine vue la proximité de Montréal. La base des voies est relativement nivelé et il y a beaucoup de place sur toute la longueur de la falaise pour assurer, se déplacer et échanger . Ont y rencontre fréquemment des grimpeurs accompagnés d’enfants et comme dans toutes communautés les chiens doivent être sous le contrôle de leurs maîtres.
If coming from the south, route 325 goes right to the location.
Once at the ski area parking lot the cliff should be visible on the upper left side when looking up the ski hills. Take a foot path up the furthest left ski trail [L'Express]. When that trail splits take the left trail again [La Falaise]. Once this trail starts to cut right, a path through the woods should be visible on the left [look for a flat rock]. Keep hiking up and left, you are sure to hit the cliff somewhere. Trail in woods is only about 200m. The
entire walk from parking area to cliff face takes 10-15 minutes.
If you can't find the wooded trail or want to keep it simple, you can continue up the ski run until the cliff becomes visible through the trees on your left, then just turn left to cliff.
The entire area is on PRIVATE PROPERTY! The land owners seem to tolerate climbers, hopefully this attitude will continue, please treat the area with respect !
Please... Most of the entire climbing area is covered with dry pine needles in the summer.
ABSOLUTELY NO FIRES OR CAMPING ALLOWED.
Classic Climbing Routes at Mont Rigaud
Days w Precip