Shanty Cliff Rock Climbing
|GPS:||43.536, -74.151 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||29,255 total · 235/month|
|Shared By:||Kevin Heckeler on Aug 30, 2010 · Updates|
Path reaches Shanty Slab in 10 minutes (on left). Continuing right another 5 minutes to reach Shanty Sports Arena (on right, some bolted routes). Continuing up the drainage along the cliff's base to the remainder of Main Cliff:
* Shanty Girl chimney with 3 moderate routes
* Shantytown and Gunky Route area with many roofs and orange colored rock
* Third class ramp
* Two 100 foot walls nearly facing each other (on right is Little Gem Diner, left is Hard Times)
* Main Face (Left End) low roofs (also called The Raven's Nest)
* Long, low roof 6 feet high with a short slab section just above
Past this last wall the trail continues up and then right. You can walk off nearly all the climbs here. Which exit/ramp you choose will depend on where you are on the cliff. At the top of the dike walkoff climber's left. Middle and lower sections use the third class ramp right of Little Gem Diner area. Can also rappel most routes.
Although most of the routes are cleaned, spring runoff can bring dirt down into the climb, so it's wise to bring a small brush and maybe carry it with you (especially if leading). This is probably a good idea for any backcountry crag.
Classic Climbing Routes at Shanty Cliff
Days w Precip