|GPS:||33.382, -86.841 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||71,640 total · 442/month|
|Shared By:||BirminghamBen on Jun 23, 2007 · Updates|
|Admins:||saxfiend, Brad "Stonyman" Killough|
The Shades Crest Boulder Fields, on the outskirts of Birmingham, Alabama, has long been a threatened area. Late in 2001 the land that the boulders were on were up for zoning changes by the city council of Hoover, Alabama for development purposes. Early in 2002 Lee Means, accompanied by other local climbers and a local conservation group got together and ultimately saved the small outcrop of sandstone boulders. Thanks to the efforts of all those involved, the City of Hoover designated the area the Moss Rock Trail Preserve, thus saving the land from the encroaching housing developments.
Get past the mild graffiti and trash from the local high school students and this spot offers some of the best bouldering in the state...see also, HP40...and is amongst the prime spots in all of the SE in some folks opinion.
For a public PDF guide to bouldering at the preserve, click here
For a nice trail guide, follow this link here
1. No person shall deposit any trash or debris within the Preserve except in trash receptacles provided thereof.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person to destroy, deface, injure, remove or disturb any native or domesticated plant, tree, shrub or flower within the Preserve.
3. No vehicles shall be parked in any areas except those areas designated for parking and only during hours that the Preserve is open.
4. No bicycles; skateboards; or motorized vehicles shall be allowed on walking trails or in any area of the Preserve, except on roadways and parking areas. All public safety and emergency vehicles are exempt from this section.
5. No person shall possess or consume alcoholic beverages within the limits of the Preserve.
6. No person shall be on the Preserve premises except during posted times of sunrise to sunset.
7. No person shall possess or carry any weapons, fireworks, firearms or explosive devices within the Preserve.
8. No person shall camp upon any of the Preserve facilities.
9. It shall be unlawful of any person to gather firewood, build a campfire or burn any material within the Preserve.
10. Any pets brought within the Preserve shall be caged or on a leash not longer than 6 feet and under personal control at all times.
11. It shall be unlawful of any person to write, paint or print any letters, figures, signs, devices, pictures or any type of graffiti on any natural or man made matter within the Preserve.
12. No person shall act in a loud or unruly manner or exhibit behavior deemed unfit for public areas.
13. It shall be unlawful of any person to possess or use any containers which are subject to break, shatter, fracture or become fragmented, including but not limited to glass.
Take exit #10 (Hwy 150). Turn east towards downtown Hoover. Turn left on Stadium Trace Pkwy. Stay straight on Stadium Trace Pkwy and it will eventually become Sulphur Springs Rd. Stay straight on Sulphur Springs Rd for approximately 2 miles to intersection with Preserve Pkwy. This road essentially bisects Moss Rock Preserve and leads to current parking for the boulder field.
DIRECTIONS FROM I-459 VIA HWY 31 (GALLERIA) EXIT TO NEW SIMMONS MIDDLE SCHOOL PARKING:
Take exit #13 (Hwy 31) and head north towards Vestavia. Turn left on Patton Chapel Rd. Stay on Patton Chapel for approximately 3 miles to 1st traffic light. At this light, Patton Chapel Rd. becomes Chapel Rd. Drive straight through traffic light and look for Gwin Elementary School on your right and new parking lot directly across Chapel Rd. Turn left into this parking lot, then left again towards the SE side of the property.
Parking is obvious as is the short trail into the woods.There is a MRP Rules sign denoting the trail head.
Additionally, check DRTopo or the Dixie Cragger's Atlas.
Classic Climbing Routes at Moss Rock Preserve
Days w Precip