Sub Gorge Rock Climbing
|GPS:||37.497, -118.564 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||12,063 total · 74/month|
|Shared By:||david goldstein on Aug 6, 2006|
|Admins:||Aron Quiter, Euan Cameron, AWinters, M. Morley, Adam Stackhouse, Salamanizer suchoski, Justin Johnsen, Vicki Schwantes|
1) Never park or camp overnight at the access points.
2) Always park off the pavement, taking great care to avoid blocking the gates.
3) Clean up after your dogs. (Local climbers are finding abandoned doggie poop bags.)
4) Pack out all trash and TP, including picking up after others.
5) Use the outhouses if at all possible.
New development and retrofitting in the area has made the sub gorge a worthy climbing area.
The Sub Gorge regular approach is not too bad and takes less time than say, approaching the Great Wall of China via Central Gully. Take the trail heading down from the notch above Slander Crag. When you hit the river, Slander will be just to your left. Head downstream to Inyo Mono Tower and Splashdown area.
Silent Pillar has a separate approach. Head down the scree ridge above Inyo Mono Line Tower and take the trail leading downstream that traverses another loose slope. Wading upstream to other Sub Gorge crags is an adventurous but worthwhile experience if you're prepared for it.
Classic Climbing Routes at Sub Gorge
Days w Precip