|GPS:||33.761, -116.679 Google Map · Climbing Area Map|
|Page Views:||1,356,248 total · 7,597/month|
|Shared By:||C Miller on Jan 19, 2006 with 4 Suggestions|
|Admins:||C Miller, M Morley, Adam Stackhouse, Salamanizer suchoski, Justin Johnsen, Vicki Schwantes|
Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks are the premiere multi-pitch traditional crags in Southern California and offer numerous climbs of all levels from one to seven pitches in length.
The rock at both Tahquitz and Suicide is a high-quality granite that varies from smooth and nearly featureless in spots to rough and grainy in others with most of it being somewhere in the middle and quite excellent. Loose rock is generally rare at Suicide Rock but the north side of Tahquitz is notorious for loose rock.
The season typically runs from mid to late spring through mid to late fall although with a mild winter the season can be extended in either direction. Suicide Rock with it's lower elevation tends to be free of snow earlier in the spring and be hotter in the summer.
- Please note these are traditional crags and although sport routes do exist at both rocks they are the exception.
- It's important to keep in mind that even fully bolted routes requiring nothing more than quickdraws tend to be runout and somewhat serious leads.
- Before driving, check with the Caltrans Highway Information Network (CHIN) 1-800.427.7623 or visit CA.gov for current highway conditions.
From San Diego/Temecula: Take Highway 79 South through Temecula to Highway 371; head north on Highway 74 and north on Highway 243 in Mountain Center. Travel 4 more miles to Idyllwild.
From LA & Orange Counties (Route 1): Head East on I-10 to Monterey Ave. in Palm Desert; follow Monterey until it becomes Highway 74 in Palm Desert; follow Highway 74 up the mountain until you hit Highway 243 in Mountain Center, go right. Travel 4 more miles to Idyllwild.
From LA & Orange Counties (Route 2): Head East on I-10 to I-215 South; exit on Highway 79 South through Temecula to Highway 371 to Highway 74 North, then turn right on Highway 243 in Mountain Center. Travel 4 more miles to Idyllwild.
Day Pass - Costs: $5 per day
Annual Pass - Costs: $30 Annually
America the Beautiful Pass will be honored.
Where do you buy a pass?
1) Visitor's Center or browse the Adventure Pass vendor list for locations near you that sell.
2) Order passes directly from the Forest Service by phone 909-382-2622, 2623, or 2621 using a credit/debit card.
Monday - Friday (except on holidays) 8:00am - 4:30pm PST
3) Order passes directly from the Forest Service by mail (takes forever, hard pass).
San Bernardino National Forest
Pass Program Headquarters - Pass Orders
602 S. Tippecanoe Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408-2607
Classic Climbing Routes at Tahquitz & Suicide Rocks
Days w Precip