Approach to Rock Garden
Park at the Penitente Canyon parking lots, hike through the main canyon, up the rim, and drop into the Rock Garden. It's about a 0.8-mile hike, and can take 15-25 minutes, depending.
• Hike to the end of the main canyon (past the slab routes/Jewel of the Mild) to where the trail forks.
• Take a left at the fork and hike ~800ft until you reach a yellow sign "Trail Confidence Marker - 5." At this sign, bust right onto the rock/slab.
• From here, the trail is mostly slab surfing with cairns here and there to work your way up to the rim. You'll hike a portion of the Blue Sky MTB Loop.
• After about ~0.3miles of slab and trail, turn Right at the two brown trail signs at a fork reading "RG" and some arrows.
• Descend into the Rock Garden canyon. Trail spits you out at a slab warm-up, Ligneous Embracer.