Yosemite: Tuolumne to The Valley via Clouds Rest

By TWK
Feb 4, 2013

Non-climbing question.
We got lucky and were drawn for a wilderness permit to hike from Tenaya Lake to the valley via Clouds Rest. We also got Half Dome permits because we want to take 3 kids up the cables. So we want to start the Half Dome day camping somewhere close to the cutoff trail to the subdome--that way we can get up and down the back of Half Dome before afternoon thunderstorms build up. Then down to Little Yosemite, and out the next day via the Mist Trail. First backpacking trip for a couple of the kids.
Anyone know the closest spot to the cutoff to camp where there's water, and, yeah I know, We're Gonna Die!

By TWK
Feb 7, 2013

Is it cool to BUMP your own thread?
Still looking for info on reliable water sources on the Clouds Rest Trail near the JMT junction.

By vincent L.
First day of school

Sunrise creek flows in the area , I remember making lunch, and it (the creek) being right off the trail on the way to Sunrise HSC ...

what time of year are you going ? Why not just look at a detailed topo map?

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

Look at a map.

By TWK

Keenan Waeschle wrote:
Look at a map.

Man, Keenan, that's really helpful advice. Why didn't I think of that?

It's pretty common knowledge that some springs aren't marked on the maps, and some springs and streams that are marked may no longer be running.

Obviously, I've looked at a topo, and at Google Earth, and I've been down the cables five or six times. I just haven't been over to Clouds Rest, and that area looks pretty dry. The Park Service asserts there are no reliable water sources in there, but we know how they are.

I just thought that maybe somebody interested in being helpful might know the GPS coordinates of a reliable water source they use after they top out on Half Dome, or fill up at before or after crossing Clouds Rest.

That is, if they know how to use a GPS and have actually been there instead of just hanging out on the forum posting snarky comments.

By Acumen
Feb 8, 2013

I did the same thing in May last year. There was water that seemed like it should be reliable at the junction (maybe 200' east) of the trail from Clouds Rest and Muir. We then camped south of the Muir trail, on the 'cliffs' west of that junction, east of the junction with the Half Dome trail, maybe 5 minutes from the water source. You can get closer, but the view of Half Dome from the 'cliffs' was great, which is obscured by trees if you are closer, and there are scattered fire pits. I highly recommend it, even though it leaves you with a slightly longer approach.

By vincent L.
First day of school

"instead of just hanging out on the forum posting snarky comments."

Isn't that what you're doing ?

Sunrise creek is year round , I can't comment on if there are any decent camping sites between the junction and Sunrise HSC...

By TWK

Perfect, thanks.

We'll be there in July, but I'm still hoping for a wet pre-season!

By TWK

vincent L. wrote:
"instead of just hanging out on the forum posting snarky comments." Isn't that what you're doing ?

Haha--true enough. But thanks for the trail info.

By BrooksBonstin
From Los Angeles, CA
Feb 8, 2013

FWIW, Sunrise was dry last summer - the HSC there had to pack in water because it was such a bad snow year. Dunno what it will be like this year.

By TWK

BrooksBonstin wrote:

Yeah, thanks, that's the reason for the inquiry. I was up there in August and it was almost desert-like. We drank every drop of water we brought with us--it was 100 degrees on the trail. I'll just have to see if the Park Service has any info closer to our trip. I'll probably post up here again late June and try to find out how the water situation looks this year.

Thanks.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Feb 8, 2013

First ever trip with the kids? How old are they? My first trip with my two oldest (they're only 6 and 9) was only about 0.5 - 0.75 a mile into to a meadow, which is about as far as they were willing to hoof it with packs. Once we dropped the packs and pitched camp, they were gunning to explore, but with the length of the trip you're planning (albeit mostly downhill) I would have had a mutiny on my hands.

By JLP
From The Internet

Fat Dad wrote:
... the length of the trip you're planning (albeit mostly downhill) I would have had a mutiny on my hands.

Looks like I have a track for this one - not including Half Dome, though.

Distance: 15.62 mi
Elevation Gain: 3,550 ft
Elevation Loss: 7,677 ft
Min Elevation: 4,027 ft
Max Elevation: 9,914 ft
Moving Time: 3:16:24

It's slightly harder for me to run the Half Dome trail from Happy Isles - 3:30-4:00 or so - but who knows - this is all rest day scenic tour pace.

That ~3500 feet of climbing to Cloud's Rest is pretty much non-stop fun starting right at the trailhead, and the downhill isn't a whole lot easier on the quads, IMO. It would be about an hour more to tag the summit of Half Dome and would add a considerable chunk of additional steep climbing. The duldrums through the sand in Little Yosemite are also memorable.

If it were me, with kids, I'd camp next to a stocked vehicle, take a swim in the lake, eat some burgers, then get up early and do the thing IAD. This way I could carry everything and the kids could be carrying nothing but their shorts and t-shirt. Otherwise, this whole thing sounds like a sufferfest the kids will hate. Just me and my experience with kids in the mountains, though.

By TWK
Feb 8, 2013

Yeah, I hear what you're saying about the "sufferfest" but not sure I agree doing the whole thing in a day is any better. The kids are young teens, run track, play soccer, jump horses, climb a little, done some 8 mile day hikes at about 7,000'. So I think we're gonna split it into 3 maybe 4 days, take our time, run em up Half Dome. You guys will certainly have the chance to say "Told you so".

If the mosquitos are in shape, we'll hear the most whining about that for sure.

I've done the Valley to Half Dome run twice, and been down the cables 3 or 4 other times, and I also think the sand trap by Little Yosemite is the worst part also. The rest of it is world class, IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA

TWK,
Sounds like you have it covered. I asked because sometimes you do get folks who substitute their expectations for those of their families, etc. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Doing it over several days make sense to me, especially since the time I enjoy the most is just hanging out with the kids after we've stopped for the night. I hope to make similar trips when my kids are a little older.

By TWK

Thanks, Fat Dad.

I'll let you know when we're done as to how many survived, and what they thought of it. Then you can drag your kids up there and subject them to the same "sufferfest"! (LMAO, I like the term).

I'll also mark any springs on my GPS.

By rex parker
From las vegas n.v
Feb 10, 2013
on the way up <br />

ive done teneya lake to clouds rest to the valley one of my favorite parts in the whole park is about three miles south of clouds rest summit. from teneya, weird mossy eco system. some friends of mine are talking about a late winter traverse going the way your going...120 to tulumne to cathedral to little yosmite valley to mist trail to the deck for a beer.. not to change the subject but found bigfoot tracks one year super early spring back behind clouds rest area... he is real.. believe..