Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
With ever-imposing disenchantment looming over my romantic ideals of what life should be...
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Evan Belknap
From Placitas, NM
Jul 1, 2012
Cochise Stronghold—me on the left

Sorry for the sob fest, but I figure we're in it together.

Within the last year and a half I've graduated college, broke up with long time girlfriend, worked here and there to support the nomadic climbing drama-fest that seems to be my life, and now I've come to a standstill in rainy-ass Portland—purposeless, lonely, and being driven insane by my insatiable adventure lust.

I keep coming back to a line in an essay I read recently, said: "The pursuit of God, of meaning, it was really about a lust for life while faced with the obvious poverty of the world's paltry offerings."

Here's the question: Where in South America can I move for about a year, climb constantly, teach english, bar tend, whore myself out some how for money, etc., and, of course, find a gushing spring of happiness to bathe in.

Other good ideas are also welcome.

Thanks.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Jul 1, 2012

dude figure it out on your own its the only way. That being said, thailand meets your description despite not being in south america.

By Unassigned User
Jul 1, 2012

I recommend climbing with out drama. Makes climbing a lot funner.

By Jtorres
Jul 1, 2012
Start of Liposuction

If I had a year to burn I would head to Chile. Should keep you busy for a year easy

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 1, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Head for the llanos of Colombia. No climbing anywhere but the locals will scare all that whining out of you.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jul 1, 2012

Sounds like you are ripe for being recruited into a cult. With a mesmerizing leader. Don't do it!

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Jul 1, 2012
Me and Spearhead

Life's kinda a festering pile O'Poo for the most part... put on your man pants and get used to it.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 1, 2012

dude, be glad you dumped your ex. Theres PLENTY of fish in the sea. She was prolly pissin' you off anyway, talkin' about marriage and shit like that. I don't think so, too damn young and need to bang a lot more girls.

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
Jul 1, 2012
bacon

Bhahaha! ....and they call it puppy looove....:) u will be alright man.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Jul 1, 2012
tanuki

SE Asia. A few months there will put a smile on your face or nothing will.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jul 1, 2012
El Chorro

Not as easy as you might think to make money teaching English in south America. It is a big place though... Sure it could be done. Chile would be awesome, but probably not realistic if you need to earn money.

I'd try China or Thailand. Ching Mai in particular is a nice city with a lot of opportunities and good climbing less than an hour on motorbike. Great climbing community as well. Sill won't make much, but maybe enough to live on.

Leave southern Thailand for a holiday... Living there will depress you more than wherever you came from. Shit, I moved to London to get away from southern Thailand!

Monterrey, Mexico could be a possibility... I have no idea really, but there is good climbing nearby!

Just so you know, the world is headed down the toilet. Pretty much everywhere is becoming ruined in one way or another. You can choose to be depressed by it or you can just live,enjoy what you have and not worry about what you don't.

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
Jul 2, 2012
bacon

OK grasshopper, here's my take on this: forget all the drama and don't dwell on past. Be grateful for every day...nomadic life is not for everybody maybe u need yo reevaluate what is it u want in life. Go with your gutt feeling be what u wanna be act like you and don't let peoples judgements restrict your aspirations. Just be!

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
Jul 2, 2012
bacon

The place does not matter u can try El Portero Chico and wolk on ' the base' although I've never been there I heard a lot of good things...but if u r not happy with yourself not a single place on earth can make u happy. A week ago I met a hippie couple from Estes park very low key but super happy two peas in the pod.

By Evan Belknap

Also, Thailand. Hmm.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Jul 2, 2012
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

Ecuador!

Quito had language schools to make a bit of bank, and there is technical climbing, glaciated volcanoes, high altitude hi-jinks.

Best of luck!

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Jul 2, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:
I can't speak to the hook-up scene, as I went with my hubby, but I'm sure you can run into some lovely ladies on their gap year. Best of luck!

I'm not worried. Dude has the kind of dramatic flair that will hold up for the ladies - at least for a lay or two.

I love the essay line he's fixated on too. So hilariously self indulgent, like a pacifier for the depressed or listening to Fiona Apple on repeat.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jul 2, 2012
El Chorro

Evan Belknap wrote:
Okay, thank you. That said, I've been saving up money, want to go traveling and climbing, am fluent in spanish, want to write a book,and have a monthly job I can do from anywhere to make at least a little mu-lah. Assuming my travel lust isn't entirely an attempt to escape love and boredom, but just something I want to do right now, is there great climbing in Chile (that's not freezing)? Where? When? Anyone been there? -e

Google Cochamo.

By Evan Belknap
From Placitas, NM
Jul 2, 2012
Cochise Stronghold—me on the left

Dear Colonel, you have no idea the powers of my dramatic flare.

Anybody want to come?

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jul 3, 2012
El Chorro

I'd love to! But I've already had a soul searching trip that turned into 4 years of doing just about everythign there is to do. I'm paying for it now though, sitting in an office, forced to distract myself with MP instead of fixing my employee screw ups. No Cochamo for me... but you should go!

By Alex Vidal
From Boulder, CO
Jul 3, 2012
Me on the Comensana Fonrouge, El Chalten

Evan Belknap wrote:
Thank you, Ryan. Cochamó—jesus christ—that may just have to be the spot. I'll research that more. Dear Colonel, you have no idea the powers of my dramatic flare. Anybody want to come?

I have a one way ticket to Buenos Ares in November and plan to be traveling/climbing/dirtbagging in various locations in South America for about a year (or until I run out of money):

I would be stoked to spend some time in Cochamo climbing as much as possible during the patagonian summer. Have lots of gear, don't climb that hard but am safety oriented and stoked. Sounds like it might work out to get some climbing in--let me know.

AV

By Elena Sera Jose
From colorado
Jul 3, 2012
bacon

Ryan Williams wrote:

Why are u paying for it???

By Chad Wagner
Jul 3, 2012
me

When life turns grey, all I do is look at my friends lives. Bam, insta happiness. Or just think about how you could have kids, drug problems, angry spouse, car payments, mortgage payments, angry pets, living in Florida, living in afghanistan, working in Afghanistan, working for the military, in jail(funny how those two go together), angry co-workers. Shit! I just described the american dream. Now im depressed. Thanks man, that shit is contagious.(Sorry if any one of these items pertains to you, your not alone.)

By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Jul 3, 2012

Try watching lots of television.

By mitchy
From nunya gotdamn business.
Jul 3, 2012

Try smoking some weed, usually makes me feel damn good.

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Jul 3, 2012
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

Welcome to your twenties dude. They pretty much blow. But in a different way than all the times before. You don't have anyone telling you what to do, which is nice, but you also have to figure out what you're going to do. Travel for a bit and have fun if you like, but eventually you gotta decide what your life is going to be.

I recommend finding what you want to do, and getting started because you'll be thirty with nothing to show for it in the blink of an eye if you just keep being a nomad. If that's what you want, that's great, but if it's not, there's plenty of adventure to be had if you find the right career and place to live.

Good luck. I'm still figuring it out as I'm sure people older than both of us are too.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>